Mail and Package Center opens in Lafarge

A student receives a package at the new Mail & Package Center. PHOTO: ROSE BARRETT ’20

Combined mail and package pickup locations now single center

The Mail and Package Center, a combination of what was previously Mail Services and the Package Center, opened on Jan. 11 in the basement of the Lafarge Residence Center.

The combination of both services will benefit students by having more flexible hours and shorter wait times, according to Mark Corbin Jr., site manager for the Mail and Package Center.

“We needed to be in one secure bigger location to make things more efficient and effective for students, specifically when it comes to mailing out and picking up packages,” Corbin said. “The main goal was to make this place, this new location, a one-stop shop and that is essentially what we did.”

Mattie Yoncha ’20, who visited the Mail and Package Center in its first week of operation, said the new hours are more convenient for her, but the new system requires a bit more responsibility on the package recipient’s part that could make the process slower.

“You definitely have to pay attention to the email now,” Yoncha said. “When you go in, they give you a ticket, and you have to write down your name, where your package is located, and how many packages you’re expecting.”

According to Corbin, Lafarge was chosen as the new location for Mail and Package Center because of how quickly it could be ready for utilization by students and staff.

“The move idea has been circulating off and on for about two to three years but the idea for Lafarge resurfaced about a year ago,” Corbin said.

The new Mail and Package department previously operated under two buildings, Mail Services in Barbelin and the Package Center in the Science Center.

“I am excited to be in one place for many reasons,” Corbin said. “One, from the working standpoint, for me not having to run back and forth to two different buildings. But also, two, I am able to manage my staff a lot better.”

Corbin said the move has been beneficial to his team of four full-time employees, contracted from the outsourcing service provider The MCS Group, and 13 work-study students.

“I am able to train them on things that they may not have been able to be trained on because of our hours being so odd,” Corbin said.

Because the work-study students make a majority of Corbin’s department, they are treated like full-time staff.

“[The] only difference is they are work-study students and they can only work within the little bit of time of the day or of the week,” Corbin said.

David Gee ’20 has worked in the Package Center since his freshman year and has observed an increase in packages over the years.

“We were literally running out of room and now we have a surplus of space which makes it a lot easier for everybody here,” Gee said. “Ergonomically, it just works a lot better.”

With the new location and look comes the need to focus on building the center’s reputation as one of professionalism, Corbin said.

“People kinda look at us like, ‘Ooh, it’s just the mailroom,’ but there’s a lot more to it than just handling mail,” Corbin said. “We handle anything from small to big.”

The Mail & Package Center is open Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.