Standing up or standing in the way?

Standing up or standing in the way?

How a group of high school boys encompass racism in the U.S.

There has been a lot of speculation and rhetoric surrounding the incident in which  Nathan Phillips, a Native American veteran, was surrounded and intimidated by Nick Sandmann and a group of his high school peers.

After watching multiple videos and reading various articles recounting the situation, I no longer believe the situation requires anymore speculation on whether Sandmann’s act was disrespectful or not.

The conclusion is simple: wearing a MAGA hat and refusing to allow a Native American man the right to retreat from a heated situation is, in fact, racist.

Multiple sources, including Fox News, have tried to skirt around the core issue of the situation by pulling focus to Phillips’ past or saying that a different protest group instigated the high school boys.

Sandmann felt as if he was victimized by the other protest groups, especially Phillips. “’I never felt like I was blocking [Phillips]. He did not make any attempt to go around me. It was clear to me that he had singled me out for a confrontation, although I am not sure why.’”

Both Sandmann’s account of the situation and other articles supporting of his claims have made excuses for his behavior. However, these sources have yet to acknowledge the actual injustice that was committed against Phillips.

The reality is that standing in the way of a Native American man who is peacefully marching for indigenous people’s rights is racist. Smiling and making faces at the Native American man who was calmly trying to diffuse a tense situation is racist. Wearing a MAGA hat while interrupting a protest about protecting Native Americans’ existence is, that’s right folks, racist.

ILLUSTRATION: OLIVIA HIESTERKAMP ’19/THE HAWK

Still unsure why these events are considered racist? Don’t worry, I will break it down for you:

1. Standing in the way of a Native American man who is peacefully marching for indigenous people’s rights is racist. Phillips was marching to protest the horrid treatment of Native American peoples and advocate to protect their rights as the indigenous people of these lands.

The act of inhibiting a peaceful march is racist because once more a white man is disrespecting someone from the Native American population. Sandmann refused to let  Phillips pass by him and eventually the rest of the high school boys circled around him  completely preventing his ability to retreat.

Starting with the colonization of these lands, white men have consistently abused, killed, tortured and harassed the indigenous people of the Americas. This is an abomination for this country’s history and it is an abomination that has never been fully reconciled.

To this day, Native Americans are treated unfairly and are often forgotten as important members of this nation. That is why they continue to protest and march, in order to ensure that they are no longer forgotten. That is why it is racist when a white man is continuing to deny  a Native American man the right to march for his own right to life.

2. Smiling and making faces at the Native American man who is calmly trying to diffuse a tense situation is racist.

Not only did Sandmann block Phillips protest path, but he stood unmoving in front of him while smirking and making faces. Blocking the protest path is shameful in its own sense, but the added layer of disrespect that comes with making faces at this man is down right unforgivable.

Race aside, for just a moment, how Sandmann treated Phillips  is simply not how people should treat others. There is a level of respect that must exist between each person, no matter their background. Sandmann took away any sense of  respect when he acted in this immature and distasteful manner.

3. Wearing a MAGA hat while interrupting a protest about protecting Native Americans’ existence is racist.

To some people, it is very clear why this is a racist act and to others the racist nature may be ambiguous.

What started as a simple campaign slogan has evolved into a platform for nationwide division. President Donald Trump’s name, slogan, and rhetoric  have all been used as precedents for tantamount racist behavior.

According to the New York Times, “Across the country, Mr. Trump’s name — and his campaign for a wall on the southern border with Mexico — have been used to goad minorities, including by high school students at sporting events.” Whether Sandmann intended for his MAGA gear to be perceived as racist, the message still carries the connotation of “if you do not look like me, you are not welcome here.”

I hope that this provides a better understanding as to why this incident is not a controversial issue, but rather a blatant act of racism. I also hope that when the St. Joe’s  community reads this, it will help our community as a whole  better identify racist incidents on campus when they happen and provide yet another example as to why hateful acts like these should not be tolerated.

View Comments (1)