Why I am voting for Hillary Clinton

Graphic by Krista Jaworski '17
Graphic by Krista Jaworski ’17

by Ann Marie Maloney ’18

On Nov. 8, I will cast my vote for Hillary Clinton to be the next—and the first—woman president of the United States. I will vote for her with enthusiasm and with pride.
One of the many reasons I’m voting for Hillary is due to her 30 years of public service. Knowing that she has dedicated her life to the often grueling and thankless task of public service and governing tells me that Hillary actually wants to serve the public—the most basic responsibility of the presidency.

Throughout her career, Hillary has demonstrated immense talent for listening. She listens to people in order to better understand their concerns; she then collaborates with others to create a solution. Her career tells me that she is willing to work with communities and involve people in the policy-making process to produce needed change.

Her record tells me that her intentions are pure—that she simply wants government to solve the necessary problems.

I do not shy away from admitting that Hillary has made mistakes in her career as a public servant, especially during her term as Secretary of State. However, because I understand that Hillary is no less human than I, then I do not believe her past missteps disqualify her from being president. In fact, the way Hillary has bravely met the repercussions of some of her failings, to me, says far more about her as a person than the mistakes themselves; Hillary acknowledged her mistakes and she publicly accepted accountability rather than avoiding the consequences. Accountability of our elected officials is absolutely essential to having a good government. Knowing that Hillary has been willing to very publicly accept and admit her faults and missteps makes me believe that she will be a strong and effective leader.

Fighting for working women, working families, and their children has been the cornerstone of Hillary’s 30 years of public service as well as the highest priority of her campaign. Most of Hillary’s policies are centered on making the work-life balance easier for middle- and low-income Americans. Among her campaign promises, Hillary includes fighting to raise the federal minimum wage above the current $7.25 an hour, working to guarantee equal pay, and ensuring twelve weeks of paid family and medical leave; all of which will raise the incomes of and create more economic opportunity for women. Simultaneously, Hillary wants to control and provide relief for the costs of childcare and pre-K, through measures such as expanding the refund for the child tax credit and doubling its value for young children.
Finally, as a college student with student loans, what makes me most excited to vote for Hillary is her comprehensive plan to make higher education or vocational school accessible to anyone who works hard to attend. I know going to college is an immense privilege, but I also know that a college degree has replaced a high school education. In most cases, a college education is a necessary qualification to land a well-paying, available job in the current American economy. Hillary wants to help all students manage their student loan debt and will make attending a public university either free or debt free for the people who most need the economic opportunity college can offer, such as low-income students and student-parents.
A common perception in presidential elections is that we don’t just vote for a candidate, but for a vision of America; I am voting for Hillary because she shares my vision for our country. Hillary and I both believe in the possibilities America can hold for its citizens. Our country can and must be a place where every citizen can flourish and succeed. Both Hillary and I have confidence that America can truly promise opportunity, dignity, and justice for all. It is with this confidence and this vision in mind that I will walk into the voting booth on Nov. 8, voting for Hillary Clinton to be our next president.