Chris Clover: a silent leader on Hawk Hill

Chris Clover takes a shot against University of Rhode Island. During the 2018-2019 season, Clover averaged 8.5 points per game. PHOTO: MITCHELL SHIELDS ’22/THE HAWK

Senior guard Chris Clover ended his four-year St. Joe’s men’s basketball career on what he called a personal high, averaging 13.7 points in the final 10 games of the 2018-19 season.

Clover got off to a slow start this season, much like he did during the beginning of his Hawk career, not receiving substantial playing time.

However, this final run punctuated what was a career with many highs and lows, according to Clover. He said it coincided with an early knockout in the Atlantic 10 Tournament after what was by a disappointing end to a year with high expectations.

However, Clover played a key role in bringing energy to the team, as he said he made a point of taking a more positive approach this season.

“I think it paid off and really helped me enjoy my last year here,” Clover said. “Everyone in the locker room, we stuck together through it all.”

After winning the Philadelphia Catholic League MVP his senior year at St. Joseph’s Preparatory School, he spent most of his first season on the bench after arriving to Hawk Hill.

Clover played only 65 minutes over 20 games, sitting behind former Hawk forward Deandre Bembry. That year, the team won the A-10 tournament and advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Redshirt senior forward Markell Lodge said that when both he and Clover arrived on campus for the first time, they told each other that they would earn a ring, winning the A-10 Championship.

“We already had our minds set on getting a ring before we got out of here,” Lodge said. “When we won, we wanted to cherish it, like a joy that changed our lives. We did it, now we wanted another one to start a drive to greatness.”

Through that experience, Clover said he learned what kind of work ethic and patience it would take to make an impact on the court. He developed habits during his first year that he continued to work on for the rest of his career.

Senior guard Mike Muggeo said that Clover has maintained a consistent work ethic throughout his time as a Hawk.

“It was always the same thing freshman year to senior year regardless of how he was playing,” Muggeo said. “He was always one of the first guys in the gym.”

Clover celebrates after freshman guard Jared Bynum made a layup against University of Rhode Island. PHOTO: MITCHELL SHIELDS ’22/THE HAWK

Clover’s work ethic yielded results in his sophomore year when he was put into the starting lineup, replacing former Hawk guard Shavar Newkirk due to injury.

Clover went on to start 18 games that year, most notably scoring a career high 21 point against La Salle University. Where Clover said his work showed the most was on the defensive side of the ball, a skill he used in an attempt to consistently stay on the court.

“I took pride in my defense,” Clover said. “I tried to incorporate it into every game.”

Clover also said he had a knack for stepping up when other guys were having an off night, taking over on offense. This was evident on his Senior Night in a 72-62 win against La Salle on March 2. He scored 12 of his 19 points in the second half.

“This year it was less thinking, it was more off of instincts for me, so I was just out there like I want to win,” Clover said. “I think that’s one of my strengths when I’m not thinking, I’m more confident in my abilities.”

This past year, Clover stepped up as a leader for the team, according to Lodge. He said Clover was a silent leader who led by example.

“He isn’t the loud one that comes yelling at you,” Lodge said. “He pulled you to the side and showed you the things you did wrong and tried to help your game.”

One player who benefited from Clover’s instruction was junior guard Ryan Daly. Playing the same position with similar body types, Daly said he learned a lot from Clover about using size as an advantage.

“He showed me and [freshman guard] Jared Bynum what it takes to play at this level and how he got to this point,” Daly said. “He would always show me pointers and how to play off two feet and use strength as an advantage, while the other guys we’re up against are scrawny.”

In return, Clover said he tried to learn something from everyone around him. He credits many different people, from coaches to teammates and friends as an inspiration in his basketball career.

“I’m very observant and try to learn a lot from everyone,” Clover said. “I try to look at people’s positive attributes and see how I can incorporate them into me. I can’t name one specific person but its been coaches, players, family members and people around me.”

Clover said he plans to take everything he learned during his time on Hawk Hill to a career in professional basketball.

“I want to continue to play,” Clover said. “I have no idea where I might play, but I’m trying to hire an agent, and that’s all I’ve been thinking about.”