K-Pop Crash Course

GRAPHIC: Kaitlyn Patterson 20
GRAPHIC: Kaitlyn Patterson ’20

It’s official: South Korean pop music, or K-pop, is taking the world by storm.

According to a study done by the Korea Foundation, a non-profit which aims to promote a better international understanding of Korea, about 30 million people worldwide have been swept up by Hallyu, or the “Korean Wave” in Chinese, in the past three years alone.

Interested in learning more? Here are some of the current top tracks (and a few throwbacks) to get you started:

“KILL THIS LOVE” by BLACKPINK

The hit single off girl group BLACKPINK’s latest mini album, “Kill This Love” is an intense power anthem about cutting ties with toxic people. Rappers Jennie and Lisa deliver cutting verses which singers Jisoo and Rosé balance perfectly with their crisp vocals.

“IDOL” by BTS ft. Nicki Minaj

Featuring a rap verse by Nicki Minaj, BTS’ “IDOL” is a loud, in-your-face dance jam about loving yourself while under pressure. It’s a wild ride from start to finish, written so every member gets a moment to shine. Not to mention, the music video is a swirling fever dream of brightly colored visual effects and iconic K-pop fashion.

“FANCY” by TWICE

Energetic and cheerful, TWICE’s “FANCY” is a must-listen for anyone looking to get into K-pop. The song captures perfectly what it’s like to have a crush: exciting and sugary-sweet with just the right amount of pep in your step.

“days gone by” by Day6

Combining ’80s-style synths with polished K-pop vocals, “days gone by” is an excellent track to stare off into the late summer sunset and reminisce to. Laidback and melancholic, the song showcases boy group Day6’s outstanding talent and emotionality.

“Everybody” by SHINee

“Everybody” is an older song, but it’s also an absolute classic. SHINee, a boy group active since 2008, has always had a bright sound to them, and this foray into EDM-slash-dubstep is a real bop.

“I Got a Boy” by Girls’ Generation

Released in 2013, “I Got a Boy” combines what, upon first listen, seems like several different songs into a fun, danceable mashup of sound. The high energy and quick tempo makes this song an excellent background track for working out or cleaning your dorm room. It’s definitely worth at least one listen.

“Nan Arayo (I Know)” by Seo Taiji and Boys

“Nan Arayo (I Know)” is utterly ’90s. Giving off extreme Backstreet Boys vibes, the track combines American pop and Korean words to create something quintessentially K-pop. It’s a funky-fresh, old-school bop with a beat that’s easy to dance along to. Seo Taiji and Boys retired from music in 1996, but they are still massive pop culture icons in South Korea.

Follow this link to listen to the playlist on Spotify.