Responding to religious bias

The need for religious tolerance at a Jesuit institution

Education seems to be the knee-jerk reaction people have when asked how racism, sexism, religious discrimination or homophobia can be addressed. One would think that requiring a religious difference General Education Program (GEP) course would be a step in the right direction in promoting an education that values people of all backgrounds and religions, especially at a Jesuit institution.

However, the most recent bias incident (read pages 1 and 2), happened in a classroom. It occured in a religious difference course that aims to explain Islam, and the attack took place against a Muslim woman of color.

At an institution that promotes social justice and acceptance of all people, and within a course that specifically seeks to address the religion of Islam on a Catholic campus, this incident contradicts the very mission of the school and the attitudes it hopes to build within the students that are enrolled.

The stereotypes, stigmas and discriminatory acts the Muslim community faces are not isolated to this campus, but rather reflect a nation-wide sentiment against those who practice the religion. The population of Muslim students at St. Joe’s is marginal. Therefore, the support for this community must stem from allyship.

Past bias incidents have opened a conversation on how to turn words into action, and a vital action that all members of this community can take is to become an ally.

[mks_pullquote align=”left” width=”300″ size=”24″ bg_color=”#cecece” txt_color=”#000000″]“Incidents like this are not tolerated on this campus. We stand with those who face religious discrimination and encourage others to do the same…”[/mks_pullquote]

It should go without saying that the standard at this university is that all people must respect those who hold different religious beliefs, especially since we are heading into a new decade and increasingly progressive era. But evidently, it is worth reiterating. Just because this is a Jesuit institution does not mean Catholicism is the only accepted system of beliefs on this campus, or even beyond.

At St. Joe’s, we are taught to embrace differences—there is an entire GEP requirement set to understand and accept the differences between different religions. At St. Joe’s, we are taught to respect others and accept those who may be different than us. It’s in our mission statement that we “strive to be an inclusive and diverse community that educates and cares for the whole person.”

It is difficult to change the hearts of those who have such a deep-set hatred against others. However, we can change how we act and how we each respond in situations where our peers are put in oppressive and discriminatory situations.

Be an ally to those who face religious discrimination. Stick up for students who are put in uncomfortable situations where their identity is under attack, especially if it takes place in a classroom setting which should be the ultimate safe space for all to thrive in their education.

Hold your peers accountable for what they say and how they act. Don’t associate yourself with those who find it acceptable to attack others based on aspects of their identity, whether it be race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other applicable identity.

Incidents like this are not tolerated on this campus. We stand with those who face religious discrimination and encourage others to do the same and to be an ally to those who face oppression based on their way of worship or system of religious beliefs.

—The Editorial Board

This week’s Editorial Board is comprised of the Editor in Chief, Online Editor, Photo Editor, Special Projects Editor, Copy Chief, Sports Editor, Assistant Features Editor, Assistant News Editor, Digital Managing Editor, Features Editor and Copy Editor. This editorial reflects the views of the Board and not the entire Hawk staff.