Does Jesuit ‘magis’ = university ‘magis’?

“That’s the Magis” is a phrase all too well known for students, faculty, and members of the Saint Joseph’s University community.

However, there is some reported discrepancy between the university’s definition of the Magis and the true Jesuit definition.

“So the thing about the Magis, the way I see it from the spiritual exercise, is it’s asking you to constantly decide and discern what’s the greater choice,” said Daniel Joyce, S.J., professor of theology.

He went on to explain that in its true context, “Magis” is an adverb, but the university uses it as a noun. “The minute you make it a noun, you’re limiting it,” he said.

Joseph Feeney, S.J., professor of English, explained that the word “Magis” comes from the Jesuit motto “Ad maiorem Dei gloriam,” which translated means “for the greater glory of God.” Therefore, all decisions made to “live greater” should be done with God in mind.

Feeney went on to express disappointment that there is no mention or reference of God throughout the campaign. “It’s missing a significant piece at the heart of Jesuit education that there was some divine dimension…I find the campaign statements woefully lacking. Nothing major seems to have any sense of God,” he commented.

When these disparities were brought up to Joseph Lunardi, associate vice president of marketing communications, he expressed that the Jesuits were the first ones consulted when the possibility of using the word “Magis” had arisen. He went on to explain that the university has reassured that the word would not be used in relation to materialism.

“We felt, and still feel, that whatever compromises were made in true meaning have not had a negative effect on how the university is perceived or on the results of the campaign,” said Lunardi.

When asked what she thinks about the university modifying the definition, Katie Pierce, ’16, replied, “I guess it kind of depends on interpretation; everyone will see the Magis as something different, I guess the university kind of did the same thing.”

Regardless of the inconsistency between definitions, Joyce stated that he is pleased with the university for using Magis in their advertising efforts.

“I think it’s the first time at the university we’ve really taken seriously the unique Jesuit style of our education… [and] if the end result is people know there’s something different and it gets people talking about it, then that’s what brands do…and that part is really good.”

When asked how he feels about the various ways students use the word, Joyce replied, “I don’t have a problem with it,” for he feels that students have a basic understanding of the word, and through repeatedly using it, they may learn and gain more knowledge about its true meaning.”

Feeney also stated that he understands the university’s want of a single word campaign, but said that in terms of putting emphasis on a core characteristic of Saint Joseph’s, a misstep was made.

“It’s understandable that the campaign, in order to be a successful campaign, wanted only one single focus…[but that was] their chance to put something [God] in and they goofed.”

When asked for his thoughts on the campaign, David Allan, Ph.D., chair of marketing, expressed that the only objection he has is that people are not able to explain what Magis actually means. “If I can’t explain it, I don’t think it can be explained in advertising,” he said.

According to market research conducted by Simpson: Scarborough on the Magis campaign in comparison to other Philadelphia institutions ad campaigns, the St. Joe’s tagline “That’s the Magis” was correctly identified and recalled more than any other.

Pierce substantiated this claim by saying, “It’s catchy, so people will remember it.”

However, the study went on to state that, “Among those aware of the Magis campaign, most of the SJU-affiliated business leaders did not know what it meant…[and] half of non-affiliated business leaders did not know what it meant.”

Allan went on to explain that he feels the Magis campaign fit the criteria the university was looking for, but personally, he feels it could have been done another way.

“[Magis] fit perfectly into what they were proactively looking for,” he said. “[But] I think that it wasn’t necessary. I think we could have gone a different way…I think that based on budgets…we probably could have done something that accomplished the same goal, and didn’t need so much explaining.”

Allan also expressed that there has been some disappointment within the Marketing department that the faculty was not directly involved with the marketing and advertising of the university.

“We find it unfortunate,” said Allan. “You are somehow qualified to send out marketers into the world…yet you don’t have any input.”

When the matter was communicated to Lunardi, he replied, “Fundamentally, their [faculty] primary role is to teach students.”

The Magis campaign was launched in 2011 when members of the university felt that the progress and growth of the university was not being showcased well enough; it was decided that the name and message of St. Joe’s was not being presented successfully to the world.

The Magis campaign was launched to coincide with the start of the 2012 Summer Olympics, in which St. Joe’s purchased approximately 70-80 television commercial spots with an overall cost of approximately $400,000.

Lunardi went on to explain that after the launch of the campaign, there was a 6 percent increase in applications received, a rise in web hits for the word “Magis,” and an overall increase of aware- ness of the word as well as its relation to St. Joe’s. The university also won the Telly in 2012 for Education spot of the year. The Telly Awards honor film and video productions, web commercials, and local, regional, and cable TV commercials and programs.

“I don’t know that I’ve seen a better campaign at drawing in the uninitiated to what the values of Saint Joseph’s and Jesuit education really are,” said Lunardi.

This February, the university also purchased spots during the Super Bowl, which, according to postings on the Town Hall site, cost $21,396.

There has been some concern about the university’s decision to spend money on advertising spots during a time of evident financial troubles; when brought up to University Provost, Brice Wachterhauser, Ph.D., he explained that the ads are necessary to keep the reputation of St. Joe’s out there.

When asked if there is substantial proof that the Magis campaign has been successful, Wachterhauser replied, “There’s been a steady increase in applications, and it’s plausible to think that maybe the Magis campaign had something to do with that, but I don’t think we have hard evidence.”

As the Board of Trustees only approved the campaign for three years, its expected finish is 2014. When asked if he thinks the university will continue with the campaign, Lunardi expressed he is certain that Magis and its meaning will continue to be incorporated.

“I can’t imagine that we won’t do some version of Magis in year four… it’s too good.”

Despite debate over the true meaning of Magis and the spending on advertisements during troubling financial times, it looks like “That’s the Magis” is here to stay.