Young Nudy is at his most consistent on “Anyways”

Young Nudy is a rapper hailing from what is the hottest place for new hip-hop artists: Atlanta, Georgia. He has released a series of mixtapes that have helped cultivate a nice buzz, as well as a sizable fanbase. This is due to the quality of his music, along with being cousins with 21 Savage, which certainly hasn’t hurt in gaining traction.

Nudy’s subject matter is much like his cousin’s, as it consists of violent gang activity, drugs, money and of course, women. He may sound like any other rap artist, but he isn’t. Nudy tends to ride over peculiar instrumentals as well as catchy, fast and addictive flows. Nudy has some strange ad libs that he places all over the track, which help to add another level of entertainment; he is also a rapper who has a sense of humor.

Nudy has been very productive throughout the years, dropping at least one or multiple projects a year, keeping his fans regularly entertained. While his supporters may appreciate his hustle, people who are just casual listeners may have a difficult time trying to find songs they enjoy. Many albums will contain one or a few songs that are an absolute banger, but the rest of the songs will be lacking. This may have been expected for this new project, but “Anyways” is Nudy at his most consistent.

The first four tracks are a fantastic way to start the project. Nudy is flowing over the songs effortlessly. Each beat stands out in its own way, as they have unique characteristics to them. “Blue Cheese Salad,” has a high pitched synthesizer that sounds like it belongs in an underwater cartoon.

However, the energy on the first four tracks dies down quickly with the track “A Nudy Story,” which is the most personal song on the album. Nudy goes into some detail about his life discussing his father leaving him, yet not holding any ill will.

He adds a sad layer to this by mentioning that his father did come back around, but only when his grandmother passed away, causing him to ask if it was worth it. This song mentions how the money he has acquired through rap made him feel that it was God’s way of saying he has a life worth living. This type of sentiment is throughout the album. Nudy’s mentions about money are still braggadocious, but also thankful. The album doesn’t have any other intimate moments, but it does offer some beautiful instrumentals.

The titled track, “Anyways,” has some typical trap kicks and snares, but the sample is an absolute earworm. It sounds like a little voice whaling far in the background, but it doesn’t get tiresome as it’s used sparingly. “F— Me Mean,” is worth mentioning as well. It has the same note looped throughout the song, but Nudy flows wonderfully.

“Anyways,” is a consistent product. Almost every track offers some enjoyment. The project also seems to show Nudy in a good light, as he appears to be very thankful for the money he has gotten from his career and the friends that have stayed with him throughout his career as well.