St. Joe’s merger: FAQs

What is a merger? 

A merger is a combination of two entities (sometimes more than two) into a single legal entity. When two entities decide to explore merging, no universal set of rules determines how long the merger process will take or when it will be finalized. However, most mergers generally begin with a quiet phase when senior management considers the possibility of a merger, and then a more public phase when senior management announces the possibility of a merger to stakeholders.

What is a letter of intent?

A letter of intent is an agreement between entities to take the next formal steps to explore the feasibility of a merger. Letters of intent offer a formal structure for the entities to assess their assets and liabilities, and essentially look at the pros and cons of merging with one another. There is no universal timeline for the entities to abide by during this phase, but a letter of intent often includes a timeline that the entities agree upon. 

What phase of the merger process is St. Joe’s currently in?

St. Joe’s and USciences is currently in what is called the “due diligence” phase, in which each university will assess their liabilities and assets and explore if a merger will be feasible.

Will anything change for students this year? 

No. The current stage is an exploratory phase where both universities will assess whether or not to move forward, and this will not have a direct impact on students this year.

How would our campus change? 

St. Joe’s sees a “strategic benefit” in utilizing both campuses, according to Cheryl McConnell, Ph.D., provost and vice president of Academic Affairs at St. Joe’s. But there are no firm plans until both parties agree to move forward and a merger is finalized.

If the merger goes through, will St. Joe’s still be called St. Joe’s? 

Yes, St. Joe’s will retain its name and be the sole name of the institution. 

Will we remain a Jesuit institution? 

Yes, St. Joe’s will retain its Jesuit identity and mission. 

Will our mascot still be The Hawk? 

Yes, St. Joe’s will retain its mascot. As we know, The Hawk Will Never Die.

Sources: 

Wendy Greengrove, J.D., former director of mergers and acquisitions at GPU

Guilbert Hentschke, Ph.D., dean emeritus of the University of Southern California

Cheryl McConnell, Ph.D., provost and vice president of Academic Affairs at St. Joe’s