St. Joe’s students find work through food delivery

A student picks up a food delivery outside Villiger Hall on April 12. PHOTO: MITCHELL SHIELDS ’22/THE HAWK

When the pandemic hit last March, Harry Harp ’22 needed a way to make more money. Someone told him the food delivery service company DoorDash was hiring.

“I was previously being paid minimum wage, I wasn’t getting the hours, and the pandemic came along,” Harp said. “My buddy said I should give this a try, showing me all this money, and I’m like ‘Wow, sign me up.’” 

The need for food delivery drivers has matched a rise in the use of third-party delivery apps like DoorDash, Grubhub and Uber Eats. In 2020, meal delivery sales soared to record highs, growing 119% over the year as the pandemic worsened, according to Bloomberg Second Measure. Monthly sales have continued to remain high as customers opt for food delivery rather than in-person dining. 

One of the appeals of driving for third-party delivery companies like DoorDash is how easy it is to sign up, said Jacob Stanley ’24, who has worked for DoorDash for four months and estimates that he makes about $18-$20 an hour.

“I had a background check, and that only took two to three days,” Stanley said. “It was really quick, and now it’s worth the money.”

Harp said another bonus of working for a third-party delivery service is being able to choose his hours.

“Honestly, there will be days where I will just go out for a couple hours, and days where I go out for eight hours,” Harp said. 

Food delivery drivers earn money from orders in three ways: from base pay, promotions and tips, according to the DoorDash website. Base pay varies, taking into account the timing and distance for a particular order. Promotions allow drivers to earn more money through deals such as “peak pay,” when drivers get a pay boost during busy times of the day. Finally, customers can tip the driver through the app.

When a driver does not want to deliver a certain order, they are allowed to decline the order on the app 

Harp said he tries to stick to orders within five miles and that pay at least $2 per mile. He also avoids certain establishments. 

“There are restaurants I have that I call ‘the blacklist,’” Harp said, “basically restaurants where I just think they’re really rude or they take too long on their food.”

At other places, Harp is happily a regular.

“I’ve been to the same Chick-fil-A maybe 300 to 400 times,” Harp said. “The one location actually knows me by my name.”

While Stanley mainly delivers around the St. Joe’s area, he prefers to accept orders from off-campus locations as opposed to residence halls.

“It is easier to drop orders and go from houses because if I’m delivering to St. Joe’s students, I have to wait in the parking lot for the students to come out of the building,” Stanley said.

And then there is the matter of tips. Students typically tip less than regular customers, Stanley said.

“Middle-aged people tend to tip a lot more than younger people,” Stanley said. “Younger people are trying to save money. It can be kind of frustrating because I did all this for $3.”

For Lauren Fitzsimmons ’23, who has worked for DoorDash since the summer of 2020, safety is an extra concern for her as a female driver. When she first started driving for DoorDash, the app often sent her into unfamiliar neighborhoods in the city. Now, she sticks to the Villanova area. 

“I’ve never had a bad experience or anything being a woman,” Fitzsimmons said. “But it is definitely in the back of my head at night.”

According to Zippia, a national career website, nearly 75% of delivery drivers are men. About 67% are white. 

Fitzsimmons said she runs to her car after she drops orders.

“I try to be efficient and just be fast with it, so that there’s no time for anything bad to happen,” Fitzsimmons said.

Spending so much time alone in your car can sometimes get lonely, especially during COVID-19 when drivers often do not have any contact with their customers: They drop food at a door, take a photo and leave. 

Stanley said he likes to meet up with a friend and fellow DoorDash driver during his shifts.

“Me and my one friend meet in a parking lot to wait until we get orders and then meet back at that same spot afterwards,” Stanley said.

Sean O’Beirne ’22, who drives for Uber Eats, said he enjoys listening to music while he’s out driving.

“Sometimes I go through the radio, sometimes I go through Apple Music or a podcast every once in a while so time will go quicker,” O’Beirne said.

That helps to pass the time, O’Beirne said. Despite this minor boredom, O’Beirne said he is happy to be an Uber Eats driver.

“I would say overall it is worth it to be in charge of yourself and having that flexibility to choose your own hours and schedule your work around your life.”

Mitchell Shields ’22 contributed to this story.