CineHawk Review: “Fear Street Part One: 1994”

GRAPHIC: CASEY WOOD ’23/THE HAWK

Adapted from the widely read series of young adult novels by R.L. Stine, “Fear Street Part One: 1994” is the first installment in a three-part Netflix film series. The project is a loving homage to the slasher movies of old, revolving around a group of teenagers in the appropriately named town of Shadyside and their desperate attempts to escape the vengeful wrath of an evil witch’s spirit. Written by Kyle Killen, Phil Graziadei and Leigh Janiak (who also serves as director), “Fear Street Part One” stars Kiana Madeira, Olivia Scott Welch, Benjamin Flores Jr., Julia Rehwald, and Fred Hechinger. The film is currently available to stream on Netflix.

Taking a page from the satirical slasher hit “Scream,” the first scene places a deceptive amount of focus on Heather Watkins, played by Maya Hawke, a mall bookstore employee who is attacked by a knife-wielding maniac in a skull mask. Whereas most other slashers would conceal the killer’s identity for the rest of the runtime, “Fear Street Part One” makes the unexpected choice to immediately show the killer’s true face: Heather’s friend Ryan Torres, played by David W. Thompson. 

From then on, the film switches focus to its true protagonist, Shadyside High School student Deena Johnson, played by Madeira. Deena is best friends with drug dealers Simon and Kate, played by Hechinger and Rehwald, respectively, and cares for her younger brother Josh, played by Flores Jr., in the absence of their father, who suffers from alcoholism. When the neighboring town of Sunnyvale holds a candlelight vigil for the victims of the mall massacre, Deena unexpectedly confronts her ex-girlfriend Sam, played by Welch, who is now in a relationship with Sunnyvale’s star quarterback. 

While the character dynamics are a little familiar, the actors succeed in infusing their characters with enough likeability that audiences will feel compelled to follow their stories. Deena and Sam have endearing chemistry and bring refreshing representation to this genre. Though they could have done with a little more development, Simon and Kate are excellent supporting characters, providing a strong balance of humor and emotional resonance. Josh proves to be the least unique, playing the annoying-younger-brother-turned-lore-expert well enough without any particular staying power.

Of course, the true depths of character are revealed under pressure, and there’s no pressure like being chased by a trio of undead serial killers. Though the book series is known to be relatively tame, “Fear Street Part One” does not hold back in the brutality of its on-screen violence. It would be a good idea for those with squeamish sensibilities to cover their eyes for most of the film’s second half. The brutal, gory kills will please hardcore horror fans as well as sell the looming danger of the slasher trio. 

However, where “Fear Street Part One” succeeds in delivering interesting characters and dark comedy, it is far less successful in creating a genuine sense of dread. Over-the-top violence, no matter how viscerally thrilling, is no substitute for slow-burning psychological suspense. Viewers will certainly be entertained, but they probably will not feel disturbed or unsettled by the time the film is finished.

“Fear Street Part One: 1994” is a fantastic throwback to 1980s and’90s slasher films, combining bloody horror with dark humor in a simple yet relatable scenario. Though it will more than deliver a satisfactory cinematic experience, it is still only the first chapter in a three-part story. As such, the film ends on a twisted, gut-wrenching note that made the week before the release of “Part Two” feel agonizingly prolonged.

Rating: 8/10 Hawks