The Hawk’s “80s Throwbacks” playlist

GRAPHIC: RACHEL KWOK ’22

With smash-hit shows like “Stranger Things” and sequels to old Hollywood blockbusters like “Ghostbusters: Afterlife,” it’s clear that nostalgia for the 1980s is in high demand. An iconic decade for music, here is a playlist that will take you back to that wonderful era.

“Working for the Weekend” – Loverboy

When I think of the 80s, “Working For The Weekend” is the first song that comes to mind. With its fuzzy synths and reverb-heavy drums, this track feels like the soundtrack to an exercise montage from a John Hughes movie. It’s a great song to get you pumped up while working out or studying for an exam.

“The Power Of Love” – Huey Lewis & The News

I first heard this song in the 80s movie classic “Back to the Future,” and I fell in love with it. The lyrics are cheesy, the bassline is bumping and the synths create a great hook. I love listening to this song while getting ready for school. It makes me feel just like Marty McFly.

“Everybody Wants To Rule The World” – Tears for Fears

A classic from the 80s (and from our “main character moment” playlist), this song also feels great to listen to in the morning. I absolutely love the swung bassline, repeating synth pattern and Kurt Smith’s iconic vocals. Another cool thing about this song is that the instruments are tuned a semitone off, meaning the notes are slightly sharp or flat. This creates a unique sound that makes the song even more memorable.

“Here I Go Again” – Whitesnake

In any typical 80s movie, there’s a scene where the main character and their love interest are about to finally get together. “Here I Go Again” is the kind of song that would be playing at that moment. It’s slower and pretty during the verse, but the chorus explodes with energy. My personal favorite moment is the guitar solo, which feels like a slow dance song at prom.

“Love Shack” – The B-52’s

A little taste of summer as the weather gets warmer, “Love Shack” feels like an 80s trip to the beach. It’s super cheesy, with both the lyrics and Fred Schneider’s almost-but-not-quite singing. But combined with the guitars and percussion, you can’t help but sing along.