The Hawk’s “Easter break road trip” playlist

GRAPHIC: RACHEL KWOK ’22/THE HAWK

Easter is almost here, which means food, family and potentially lots of traveling. Whether you’re going to visit family over the holiday or are just driving home for the long weekend, here’s a playlist of some fun car ride songs to make the journey feel a little shorter.

“Young, Wild & Free” – Christian Porter

Off Porter’s newest album “Collaborations With Myself,” this track sounds like the beginning of a coming of age story. The acoustic guitar and violin give the song a folksy feel, which is always good for road tripping. 

“You Were” – Field Guide

Whereas the previous tune might be good for an early morning trip, “You Were” is much calmer and a better choice for the late night ride back home. The drums and the light vocals have just enough energy to match the vibe of a dimly lit backroad while still keeping the driver awake.

“Beach Stalker” – Communist Daughter

This track is also ideal for a return trip. I imagine staring out the window and watching the twinkling street lights pass while its reverb-heavy lead guitar and ethereal vocals fill the speakers. The song sets up a beautiful scene, which can provide a great ending to a fun Easter break.

“Chaos Space Marine” – Black Country, New Road

While I didn’t mention much about this song in my Feb. 16 review of “Ants From Up There” for The Hawk, “Chaos Space Marine” is one of my favorites from that album. Though many of the album’s songs could work for traveling, this one in particular has great youthful energy and a joyful vibe needed for a long car ride. The repeated “I’m coming home” toward the end of the song also builds the anticipation of seeing family and friends you may not see on a regular basis.

“Thinning” – Snail Mail

Definitely blast this one on your way back from your Easter celebration, as “Thinning” is one of my favorite late night road trip songs. The mood reminds me of driving down City Avenue at sunset with my windows open, enjoying a cool breeze. The chorus guitars, bassline and drums all create a really cool sound thanks to a grungier production style. This adds a certain charm, making the song feel personal.