Masking for community well-being

Responding to spike in St. Joe’s covid-19 cases

Throughout April, the City of Philadelphia has shifted its masking policy twice. On April 11, the announcement came that masks would be required starting on April 18 due to the recent rise in covid-19 cases. This mandate was then rescinded as cases declined, dropping to an average of 64 new cases a day from 224 per day by April 21. 

St. Joe’s followed suit on April 22 by no longer requiring masking on campus. 

Despite St. Joe’s rescinding the mask mandate, campus cases spiked this month. The university’s covid dashboard displayed 23 new cases for April 12. Then, on April 19, 25 new cases were reported, exceeding the previous daily case record of 24 cases on Nov. 16, 2020. 

This concerning spike does not align with the decision to rescind the mask mandate. The lack of communication from the university surrounding the recent case uptick, along with the ever-changing mandate, is irresponsible. 

While the mandate is no longer in effect, it is clear that masks are still one of the best ways to protect ourselves and others. Multi-layer cloth masks block 50%-70% of the fine droplets that spread the virus. Multiple studies show that wearing masks during exposure reduces the risk of infection by 70%, something we have heard throughout the pandemic and that still remains true.

We all desire to move forward from the pandemic, but we cannot forget the members of our community — even those fully vaccinated — who remain at a higher risk.

Along with preventing the spread of covid, masks also protect us from other airborne pathogens and even air pollution. Other countries have recognized this for decades, including China, Japan and Taiwan.

We must sift through the pandemic politics and focus on the purpose of masking: protection. As an institution that prides itself on Magis and caring for one another, we should all uphold these values.

The new policy states that faculty can require masks. As we move toward the end of the spring semester, we need to be aware and respectful of our faculty and fellow student’s decisions to mask-up and express mutual consideration for their wellbeing. By doing so, we will live up to our university’s values.