'A voice for the voiceless'
Kiley O’Brien ’25, Assistant Features Editor • July 18, 2024
Fit to be king
Lilli Dellheim '25 M.A., Special to the Hawk • July 13, 2024

“Midnights” Prediction Playlist

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK

With Taylor Swift’s new album “Midnights” dropping this Friday, we’re all eager to discover what exactly blondie has in store for us. Swift describes this album as “a collection of music written in the middle of the night, a journey through terrors and sweet dreams.” We are obviously expecting some prodigious love songs, either achingly sad or deliriously heartwarming, but hopefully both. Based on her descriptions of the new album, here are some previous Swift songs that might mirror the essence of  “Midnights.”

“Lover” 

“Lavender Haze,” as Swift describes in an Instagram video, is a commonly used phrase from the 1950s to define the all encompassing feeling of being in love. This is the title of the first track of the album, so it looks like we’re off to a positive start. Based on the briefing of this song, it might be similar to one of her most beloved ballads, “Lover.” There’s a reason so many newlyweds use this as their wedding song; it may be the most romantic song out there. Swift’s choice to make her vocals sound like she’s swooning every time she repeats the word “lover” seems to correlate to the feeling of being in a lavender haze quite nicely. 

“Come in With The Rain (Taylor’s Version)” 

This track from Swift’s “Fearless” album recites the exhaustion one feels when they are still in love with someone who is long gone, hoping that if they leave their window open, that person might just come in with the rain. There are countless mentions of rain in Swift’s songs used to illustrate emotion, so we shouldn’t be surprised to get a taste of that in “Midnights.” Side note: if you haven’t listened to Taylor Swift well past midnight during a storm, letting her lyrics and the sound of rain put you to sleep, then you haven’t fully lived. 

“All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)” 

Obviously we will be getting something similar to what is arguably the most detailed and devastating break up song ever written. It’s hard to predict if anything will ever top this masterpiece. However, Swift is known to one-up herself. I don’t know if I could handle the turmoil of another 10 minute song, so let’s hope she keeps the heartbreak brief. 

“Mirrorball” 

Is it really an existential crisis if it doesn’t happen after midnight? This song leaves me in shambles every time I listen to it. I am anticipating some hard hitting songs about self-reflection on the new album, but I can’t say I’m too excited about it. Go easy on us, Taylor. We’re begging. 

“You Are In Love” 

Swift also revealed that the “Midnights” track “Snow on the Beach” is about falling in love with someone at the same time they are falling in love with you and being bewildered at the fact. I think this will be a more poetic and less straightforward version of the “1989” track “You Are In Love.” Try to listen to that song without getting butterflies. Go ahead, I dare you. 

“Back to December” 

Love, loss, regret and yearning all wrapped up in one monumental song. This track from the album “Speak Now” could very well encompass the entirety of the “Midnights” album put together. Here’s hoping the album doesn’t make me cry as hard as this track did, but we all know that’s wishful thinking.