WYSK: Disability awareness

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23/THE HAWK

President Biden proclaimed October 2022 as National Disability Employment Awareness Month. According to a White House announcement, “During National Disability Employment Awareness Month, we celebrate the essential contributions to our workplaces, economy, and Nation made by disabled Americans and recommit to promoting equal opportunity for all people.”

What is National Disability Employment Awareness Month? 

According to the Office of Disability Employment Policy in the U.S. Department of Labor, National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) is observed annually in October and “celebrates the contributions of America’s workers with disabilities past and present and showcases supportive, inclusive employment policies and practices.” The theme for NDEAM 2022 is “Disability: Part of the Equity Equation.”

What is the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and what is its purpose? 

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) is a landmark civil rights case passed on July 26, 1990 and was amended in 2008 in the ADA Amendments Act. The ADA “prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in several areas, including employment, transportation, public accommodations, communications and access to state and local government’ programs and services,” according to the U.S.w Department of Labor. 

Claims made to the ADA are investigated and enforced by different federal agencies, including the U.S Department of Transportation, the U.S Department of Education, the U.S Department of Health and Human Services and others. The ADA protects the civil rights of people with disabilities in the U.S. and “makes it possible for people with disabilities to participate in the everyday commercial, economic, and social activities of American life,” according to ada.gov. 

Why is disability awareness important? 

Nearly 26% of Americans are affected by disabilities, and affect more than one billion people worldwide, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC). Disability has three dimensions: physical impairment, activity limitation and participation restrictions in daily activities, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). It is important to recognize that disabilities are not always visible and are often hidden. Those with disabilities often face discrimination, which leads to lower quality of life and poor mental health. Education on disability is key in order to avoid misconceptions and stereotypes about those with disabilities. 

What is considered a disability? 

An individual with a disability is defined by the ADA as, “a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment.” Major life activities include breathing, learning, walking and lifting. While the ADA does not name all conditions that it covers, the CDC defines a disability as any condition that affects and makes it more difficult for a person to do certain activities and to interact with their surroundings.

How do we talk about disabilities? 

Person-first language, like that used in the title of the ADA, is language that puts the person before the acknowledgment of their disability and shows that a person’s identity is not made up of their disability. This phrasing puts the person before a fact. 

There is also identity language, which uses direct statements to describe a person and is used to express disability pride. Identity language states that a person is disabled, and is preferred by some people who have disabilities. It is important to ask the person who you speak to which language approach they prefer. Having an open conversation about the person’s unique identity and how they view themselves is a simple place to start.