Get inspired: ​​Finding ways to spark creativity

The worst thing to be in is a writing slump. You have no ideas, no clue where to go with your piece, and you can’t decide what will help. Or you’re overwhelmed with an abundance of ideas and can’t pick out a specific one to develop. I’ve been there and I get it, so I’m going to share some things that have proven helpful to me.

Whenever I feel stuck with a piece of writing, I usually find a new place to physically be. It can be a different seat, a different room in my house, or going out to a new location. Even going outside and surrounding myself with nature really helps me get inspired so I can think deeply about what I want to write. It also helps me to be around other people and hearing snippets of their conversation. This exercise helps me picture my characters talking to each other in a similar scenario. 

When finding a new location isn’t possible or convenient, I usually take a break from what I’m writing and do something else to refresh my mind. I also make sure I’ve had enough to eat and drink, especially if I’ve been at it for hours. Hunger and dehydration has never helped one focus better!

A big source of my inspiration is music. Certain songs, artists, albums and playlists have very different feelings to them, and, depending on what music I listen to, I draw on that feeling to influence the feelings of scenes I write. I usually listen to music in the background anyway, and I often stumble upon songs that fit my stories perfectly when I put on random playlists. Then, I curate playlists of these songs, so I have a collection of music that portrays my characters and their relationships. It’s nice to always have songs on standby that can bring me right back into the mindset of writing a specific scene. I recommend using music as a way to connect deeper with your writing, especially if it’s a longer piece. Not only does it further inspire ideas, but it’s a great way to reflect on your existing writing and expand on how your characters feel and the emotions of your piece.

Another way I get inspired is by consuming others’ creative content. Reading a book  or watching a show often gives me ideas for how I want my stories to go. Something I see on television can remind me of what I have written and give me more ideas for how to progress that storyline. Other times, I’ll pick up on a detail that makes me want to incorporate specific characteristics into my own work. If you’re feeling stuck in your writing or just want to brainstorm some new ideas, I suggest you give these tips a try, and maybe it will help you just as much as it helps me!