New year, new music

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23/ THE HAWK

As we settle into the new year, we also move closer to hearing brand new music from our favorite artists. Here are some artists to play on loop as we get ready for their new albums to drop in 2023.

Sam Smith – “Gloria,” Jan. 27 

Sam Smith’s single “Unholy” rose to the top of the charts towards the end of 2022 and that is just the start to their new era of music. Their 2014 album includes hits like “Stay With Me” and “I’m Not the Only One,” which were more endearing contemporary pieces. Based on “Unholy,” though, we can expect a more unfiltered pop theme on their new album, and we don’t even have to wait much longer to hear it. 

Paramore – “This Is Why,” Feb. 10

Even after a five- year hiatus, we are still into you, Paramore. The American rock band first formed in 2004 and rose to fame because of their edgy, pop-rock style. They recently released three new songs following in the same genre as their previous hits. If anything, let’s hope this new album will get us through hard times. 

Miley Cyrus – “Endless Summer Vacation,” March 10

Miley Cyrus’ newly released song “Flowers” took fans by surprise as they were able to find hidden references in the lyrics regarding her previous marriage to actor Liam Hemsworth. The song came as a shock to fans, but people were quick to note Cyrus’ girlboss energy and praise her for expressing her perspective and telling her truth. 

Zach Bryan – “Writers and Fighters,”  (to be announced)

Zach Bryan is a 26-year-old rising artist who only just recently entered the music industry, but nonetheless his album is one country fans are holding their breath for. Bryan announced the album in a tweet on Nov. 20, saying, “album for 2023 is called ‘Writers and Fighters’ and I have never been more excited for anything in my life.” And even if country is not your genre of choice, maybe Bryan can still win you over: he is a passionate Birds fan.