Editorial: Feb. 1

With the O’Pake Recreation Center on Hawk Hill closed for reconstruction, us Hawks will have to work a bit harder to get our daily exercise in. Everyone knows how important it is to stay fit, especially in the midst of stressful college life. Exercise doesn’t just help with physical health, it is crucial to maintaining good mental health as well. Walden University details some of these benefits as alleviating stress, helping with depression and anxiety, providing better sleep, and improving multiple parts of the brain such as memory and intelligence. All of these are great reasons to make sure fitness is included in your college routine. 

If you can’t make it to the new fitness center in Sourin Residence Hall, UCity’s Athletic/Recreation Center (ARC) or off campus to LA Fitness or AFC Fitness, which have both partnered with St. Joe’s to offer discounted rates, there are still many ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle from home. One easy way is to get outside and utilize St. Joe’s campuses. Both UCity and Hawk Hill are great campuses to walk around on, especially with the added challenge of the Hawk Hill incline. You can even enlist a friend or group of friends to walk with you for more enjoyment. Other ways to stay fit without a gym include yoga, dancing and cardio workouts. There are a plethora of free online videos you can watch as you embark on these activities at home. Weight lifting with household objects such as laundry detergent is also an easy way to bring the gym into your home as it doesn’t require much space and can have great results. Until O’Pake Recreation Center reopens, consider these other great ways to prioritize your fitness and get your exercise in.