Don’t compare and despair: Your writing has intrinsic value of its own

One of my all time favorite quotes is “Comparison is the thief of joy.” The quote is credited to President Theodeore Roosevelt, but the first time I saw it was in my eighth-grade English classroom, displayed as a decorative, black and white print in a thick cursive font. Ever since then, I’ve adopted the quote as a personal mantra through all aspects of my life, but especially in my creative endeavors. 

As someone who both loves to read and write, it’s easy to fall into the trap of comparing the stories I consume with the stories I create. I know this is true for many writers, especially when so many works of literature seem to be expertly crafted and seemingly flawless. 

But this comparison can quickly lead to discouragement when your writing doesn’t come out the way you imagined or match the quality of other writers. As I often have to remind myself, everyone has their own writing journey and style. Don’t let comparing yourself to others take away from your own writing experience.

If you’re a fellow writer getting disappointed when your work isn’t New York Times bestseller quality upon first draft, or even 10th draft, my advice is to let that feeling go. That’s much easier said than done, but I’ve learned that having unrealistic expectations only discourages me and bogs me down when writing. Instead, focus on the progress that you’re making on your own story and understand that even the best authors are right where you are, doubting their own work and making comparisons. 

What you write has value and purpose, even if it doesn’t match up to what others write. At the end of the day, writing is a craft and any craft takes work. But remember it is also a passion. Comparison will only rob you of the joy that creating stories and writing brings, so dismiss those judgments and focus on your own journey.