Hawk Spotlight on: Vault + Vine

The interior of Vault + Vine, which sells plants, homegood items and more. PHOTO: KELLY SHANNON ’24/THE HAWK

Address: 3507 Midvale Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19129

As customers step into Vault + Vine, they are greeted with a jungle of foliage at every turn. The greenhouse seating offers a tranquil space to catch up with a friend or get some work done, and upstairs has a children’s play area. The air feels fresh and light.

When former owner Peicha Chang first opened the business in 2009, it was just a flower shop. But in 2017, Vault + Vine moved to its current location and expanded to include a cafe, gift items and products from local small businesses.

Diana Baye acquired Vault + Vine last June. She had been a regular customer for years, but when Chang decided to let go of the business to focus on her family, Baye swept in.

“We’ve made some small changes, but for the most part tried to keep it the same because [Chang] had a great business model,” Baye said.

Baye made the addition of a children’s play space on the second floor with a chalkboard wall, books, toys and dress-up costumes. Baye said most cafes are usually not family friendly.

“A parent can’t get their coffee and sit down and enjoy it because you’re too busy trying to keep your children contained,” Baye said. “You don’t have to do that here, and your children can play while you enjoy yourself.”

Baye’s favorite aspect of Vault + Vine is how they act as a hub for small businesses to flourish. The walls feature art by local artists, the flowers often come from local growers and the pastries come from local bakeries.

“There are local ties, so there was no reason to change that business model,” Baye said. “That was the reason why I loved this place in the first place.”