Q&A with Hawks: What does having a woman as the president of St. Joe’s mean to you?

REPORTING BY: NATALIE BRISLIN ’23, TIFFANY MARCIANO ’23

“As a female leader at the school, I think it’s really empowering to see a female president. Although there’s a lot of progress that has been made throughout the years, the glass ceiling for women is still very much a real thing in the world. And I think seeing a woman as president kind of gives empowerment to other students and women at the school who are going to be facing these challenges.”

Erin Groves ’24
Major: Marketing
Position: President of Hawk Hill Productions

“I was so excited when I found out because I remember the very first time I went into the President’s Lounge in Campion, and I was like, ‘Wow, this is a lot of white men. …’ I’m excited to see what she does and excited to see just some changes and new faces. A woman now will be on a portrait in the President’s Lounge, which is exciting.”

Shayna Sit ’25
Major: Physics
Position: Officer of Women in Physics

“I think it is a sign that we as a university are ready to welcome women in positions where they always belonged and in positions that they always deserved. I’m obviously really happy that President McConnell is our president. I think it’s a good sign for us as a community and for universities and higher ed institutions.”

Julia Oseka ’25
Major: Physics and Theology
Position: Officer of Women in Physics

“To me, it’s a double edged sword. Having the glass ceiling broken is so amazing, to see having a woman president and having someone who looks like me representing our school. But at the same time, it is something that almost feels sadly ironic to celebrate seeing as it is 2023. We’re only now having a first woman president and knowing that it’s not unique to St. Joe’s for this to be a new thing as women are still trying to break into the higher academic field.’’

Grace Donohue ’25
Major: Spanish and Political Science
Position:
Co-President of Women’s Leadership Initiative

“I think it’s great that there’s a female president, and I think it’s inspiring to other women to take on bigger roles. ”

Vaidehi Patel ’24
Major: PharmD and MBA
Position: PCP Student Council President