Hagan pool to be replaced with indoor turf fields

The renovations to Maguire Pool will leave multiple St. Joe’s club sports teams looking for a new home. PHOTO: HANNAH MADEYA ’24/THE HAWK

The Maguire Pool in Hagan Arena will soon close and be filled in. The space previously taken up by the pool will be used to house indoor turf fields.

Jack Jumper ’09, director of athletics communications, said while final plans have yet to be decided, the construction will happen.

“The project scope and schedule are not yet finalized, but construction could begin as early as this summer,” Jumper wrote in response to written questions from The Hawk.

This upcoming pool removal, along with the closure of the O’Pake Recreation Center until at least February 2024, means that St. Joe’s will go from having two pools on the Hawk Hill campus to none. A pool at the Athletic/Recreation Center (ARC) on the UCity campus was also filled in long before the University of the Sciences merged with St. Joe’s. 

Ashley Rodgers ’25, facilities chair in the University Student Senate, said plans to fill in the Maguire Pool occurred suddenly because of maintenance problems.

“The pool has been having some issues with the retention of water and they decided to not refill it,” Rodgers said.

Kieran Ferguson ’24, who has been working as a lifeguard for the past three semesters, had only heard rumors about the closure and was not sure if they were true.

“It stinks, but I’ll land on my feet,” Ferguson said. 

Jumper said there might be other opportunities for St. Joe’s lifeguards while O’Pake is being renovated. 

“Some of the facilities we are looking to utilize during the renovation will require/allow us to utilize our lifeguards,” Jumper wrote. “As such, we anticipate that we will likely still need those positions for coverage of those shifts as well as to help review and update our policies and procedures in preparation for the new natatorium.”

The club swim and water polo teams have been aware of the upcoming closure for weeks. But Taylor Stech ’25, who is a member of the SJU Swim Club Team and previously worked as a lifeguard, said the team is frustrated with the closure, especially after setbacks caused by covid-19.

“It was really upsetting that we worked so hard to be able to come back and do meets, and now we have nowhere to practice, might not be able to do meets next year [and] have no program,” Stech said. “All of this work that we’ve been doing for two years has left an abyss.”

Dehlyla Hernandez ’25, captain of the SJU club water polo team, said she is also concerned about the future of the water polo program.

“We need at least seven players to play, and we’re already at seven,” Hernandez said. “So if one of them decides it’s not worth it anymore to pay the fee and not to have a pool to practice [in], then we won’t have a team at all.”

Jumper said Campus Recreation is looking for a facility the teams can utilize until the O’Pake renovations are completed.

“Campus Recreation leadership is currently working with our club teams to identify a temporary facility to accommodate their needs during the transition,” Jumper said. “Dedicated transportation options will also be provided.”

While the search for a temporary facility continues, Stech said the team is looking toward the reopening of the pool at the new Fitness and Recreation Center.

“I hope that it opens when it’s expected to in the fall of 2024,” Stech said. “That way, next year will be the only year we don’t have a pool. But that’s assuming everything goes as planned, and there aren’t any problems.”