2023 White Coat Ceremony

Philadelphia College of Pharmacy students recite the Oath of a Pharmacist during their Sept. 30 White Coat Ceremony held in Morgan Arena at the UCity Campus. PHOTO: THE HAWK

The Philadelphia College of Pharmacy (PCP) held its annual White Coat Ceremony Sept. 30 in Morgan Arena at the University City campus.

Fifty-eight students in the doctor of pharmacy class of 2027 received pins from PCP faculty and donned their white coats. Family and friends cheered as the students took the Oath of a Pharmacist. The preamble to the oath begins, “I promise to devote myself to a lifetime of service to others through the profession of pharmacy.” This is followed by eight vows.

The White Coat Ceremony is a significant event for many students who want to become pharmacists as it marks a transition into the professional phase of the pharmacy program, said Edward Foote, PharmD, dean of PCP and associate dean of the School of Health Professions.

“The student pharmacists have begun their professional training,” Foote said. “They do things like getting pinned, [donning] coats and taking the Oath of the Pharmacist to start to get them thinking about how to behave and think more like a pharmacist and less like a student.”

Asawir Abdelgadir ’27, a first generation college student who was born in Sudan, said she always dreamed of becoming a pharmacist and helping people.

“Seeing my family back home struggle, not having the access to medications, to drugs, to healthcare in general, made me want to pursue pharmacy so I could give back to the community here in the U.S. as well as the community back home,” Abdelgadir said.

Michael Asante ’27 said he was happy his family got to see his accomplishments and the results of his efforts.

“This is confirmation that I’m finally heading in the right direction, doing something good with my life,” Asante said. “And now I have a ceremony that confirms that.”

Gabby Coppola ’27 said she wanted to become a pharmacist because she likes science and is interested in biochemistry. For her, the White Coat Ceremony signified being closer to achieving her goals.

“It means I’m finally becoming a pharmacist and on that path,” Coppola said. “I’m excited for my future career, so this is a step in that direction.”

Foote said the ceremony is one of his favorite days of the year as dean of PCP.

“I think about all the other deans before me who got this opportunity, and I consider it a blessing,” Foote said. “It’s just really seriously one of the best days, better than graduation.”

As Abdelgadir joined her classmates at the reception after the ceremony, she reflected on what she thought was most significant about the ceremony.

“For me, to be that role model for my younger siblings means a lot to my family,” Abdelgadir said. “This is one step, a stepping stone, to becoming a better pharmacist, a better person for the world and making a change.”

Asawir Abdelgadir ’27 (right), a first generation college student, poses with her family at the closing reception of the 2023 White Coat Ceremony held in Morgan Arena at the UCity Campus Sept. 30. Abdelgadir said she always dreamed of becoming a pharmacist and helping people. PHOTO: THE HAWK