Barbie life in the clubhouse: Putting the ‘home’ in home-team

Mia Messina ’25 crosses off a number on her Red October countdown following a Phillies postseason win. PHOTO COURTESY OF MIA MESSINA ’25

Growing up in the Stadium District of South Philly was something I took for granted before going to college. It was hard to imagine people did not grow up going for walks around the stadiums of Philadelphia or hearing the roar of the crowd before watching Bryce Harper hit one out of the park. I could throw on my shoes, head out the door and be on Broad Street watching people climb poles in under 30 seconds.

I took for granted the games I watched with my dad, an NHL off-ice official and a high school baseball coach, and my older brother, who played baseball for 19 years. They offered insight into players, stats, teams and coaching that you cannot get anywhere else. Then, the time came to move away to college and my sports watching experience drastically changed.

Moments came and went during my first two years at St. Joe’s: a Super Bowl watch party and some of the Winter Olympics on the McShain Hall third-floor lounge TV, the World Baseball Classic and Eagles and the Jets and Bills games in Lannon Hall. Although these moments were core memories in my college experience so far, they never replicated the feeling of being home near Broad Street. That was until I moved into an off-campus house with my six best friends.

“Home-field advantage” extended beyond just Citizens Bank Park and into a house filled with fresh flowers, pumpkin candles, a “manifestation corner” and the Birds on the TV every Sunday. Sitting in our living room with the Barbie Career of the Year four-pack dolls of women in sports on the shelf, our friends now gather together for Phillies games. We tick off our Red October game countdown while “Dancing On My Own” blares through a speaker. We host drafts for 20-person fantasy football and fantasy hockey leagues, and I get the privilege of explaining how they work to my roommates, the same way my dad and brother did for me.

The best part about it is watching their personal relationships with sports and athletics grow as well. Taylor is a co-president of club swimming and Christina and Isabella are cheerleaders. Ashley is a natural born athlete who is constantly leaving the house to go for a run. Kasci never misses her brother’s football games and works at Lincoln Financial Field. Katie played every sport imaginable growing up, and no matter what, will always sit and watch a game with me.

Last year, while my family celebrated on Broad Street for the Phillies winning the NLCS and the Eagles winning the NFC Championship, I was upset to watch what I was missing through a FaceTime call. But now, I have a team of my own and we have our own clubhouse for celebrations. When I feel like the visiting team, my roommates serve as my home plate. 

Now, I’m too far away to hear the sounds of the stadium from my doorstep, but the sounds of my friends’ laughter and cheers are just as good of a replacement.