Once upon a time

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK

Whether they include daring sword fights, magical spells or princes in disguise, everyone loves a good fairy tale. The twists and turns characters overcome to find treasure or true love always make for an entertaining narrative. Here are five songs that follow the fairy tale theme, sharing enchanting tales of potions and knights on white horses.

“Bewitched” – Laufey

The best fairy tales believe in the power of true love, and Laufey employs this theme in all of her jazz ballads. The title track for her sophomore album, “Bewitched,” is filled with dreamy instrumentals and romantic vocals that create a magical atmosphere. While all of her music possesses a touch of enchantment, this song casts a mystical spell on any listener.

“Never Ending Fairytales” – Labrinth

At times, fiction mirrors reality, and some stories may never reach their endings. “Euphoria” composer Labrinth used this metaphor of an incomplete story to sing about what life has in store in his 2019 demo, “Never Ending Fairytales.” The electronic-pop artist opts for a softer sound in this short, emotional piece.

“Love Potion No. 9” – The Clovers

A prominent storyline in all fairy tales, magical potions create chaos for all characters involved. The Clovers’ “Love Potion No. 9” tells the tale of a man trying to find love using a potion that makes him fall in love with everything, even a police officer on the street. An old-fashioned R&B hit, this song will have you coming back to see what love potion number 10 has in store.

“White Horse (Taylor’s Version)” – Taylor Swift

Not all fairytales end in a happily ever after, as sometimes the magic of true love fades away. In “White Horse (Taylor’s Version),” Taylor Swift uses princesses and princes to sing about her heartbreak and unworthy love. This mellow country ballad suggests though not all romances are perfect fairytales, true love can still be found elsewhere.

“So Close” – Jon McLaughlin

A modern-day fantasy, Disney’s “Enchanted” tells the magical story of fairy tale maiden Giselle and her adventures in New York City as she discovers her true love. While Giselle and her forbidden love dance at the ball, “So Close” mirrors their emotional desires for one another. This dreamy song sets the tone for the film’s climax, getting any audience member ready to learn that true love can save the day.