Epic half-time shows

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK

Let’s be honest, the big game is not always just about the big game. While a lot of people will be tuning in for the love of football, some will choose to chime in because of their love of music and to see what memorable moment will go down at this year’s halftime show. With the 2024 Super Bowl around the corner, it was only fair The Hawk traveled back in time and picked out the most notable, fan-favorite halftime performances to get you amped up for the big game.

Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige, Kendrick Lamar & 50 Cent (2022)

It is only appropriate to kick off our iconic Super Bowl halftime show playlist with one of the most legendary live collaborations of the century. The 2022 Super Bowl made history, and it was not just because it was Odell Beckham Jr.’s first ring. This halftime performance was not only the first to predominantly feature rap music on the main stage, but it was also the first-ever halftime show to win an Emmy for “Outstanding Variety Special (Live).” Equally sharing the stage between six artists is not easy, yet this performance quickly took the hip-hop and R&B world by storm.

Beyoncé (2013)

Surrounded by smoke and her silhouette of flames illuminating in the background, Beyoncé took the 2013 Super Bowl stage, belting her 2011 hit “Love on Top.” Queen B satisfied her solo-career BeyHive fandom with throwback songs, like “Crazy in Love,” sprinkled throughout her performance. The most anticipated moment, however, was when Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams, whose careers started with Beyoncé in Destiny’s Child (1990-2006), popped out from below the stage to perform alongside Beyoncé for “Bootylicious,” “Independent Women” and “Single Ladies.” This three-song reunion displays that, despite being “independent women,” Beyoncé always has her girls by her side, figuratively and literally.

The Rolling Stones (2006)

Despite reaching the height of their fame in 1965-1967, the classic English rock band, The Rolling Stones, got the crowd amped by kicking off their performance with their 1981 hit “Start Me Up.” Performing only three songs during their entire act, starting with “Start Me Up,” followed by “Satisfaction” and “Rough Justice,” this performance still came in at about 13 minutes. Lead singer Mick Jagger once joked that “Satisfaction,” which was released in 1965, could have been played at the first Super Bowl.

Katy Perry (2015)

Making her grand entrance to the stage on a giant golden lion, Katy Perry asked the audience one question, “Are you ready to roar?” The audience did just that as she performed all our favorite middle school dance hits, from “Dark Horse” to “Teenage Dream.” Arguably the most notable takeaway from the performance, however, was not Perry herself, but rather the infamous backup dancer Left Shark, whose rise to fame came from the shark’s unique yet rather questionable dance moves.

Prince (2007)

There is no better way to close out this playlist than with pure royalty. Prince took the stage in 2007 for what Billboard ranks as the best Super Bowl halftime performance of all time. Whether or not you agree it is the best, Prince’s performance is undoubtedly one of the most beautifully composed in Super Bowl history. With song mashups from Bob Dylan, Queen and Foo Fighters, alongside his own songs, this performance had fans of all genres tuning in. Prince even had the sky in tears, as it started raining when he closed out his performance with his highest streamed song, “Purple Rain.”