Let FREEdom ring

The+Pennsylvania+Academy+of+Fine+Arts+is+located+on+Arch+Street+%28Photo+by+Emily+Graham+%E2%80%9920%29.+
The Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts is located on Arch Street (Photo by Emily Graham ’20).

When to get into museums for (almost) free.

Philadelphia offers endless attractions, but on a college budget, many of us don’t get to take full advantage of the city we currently reside in.

While you may shy away from the expensive museums, there are many opportunities throughout the year to visit places in the city for free or at a significant discount.

Completely cost-free

On the first Sunday of every month, the Barnes Foundation offers free admission from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on a first-come first-serve basis. Tickets give visitors full access to the museum and special events.

While the rotating events are geared towards families, students can still take this chance to explore the rest of the museum.

As a Philadelphia university, St. Joe’s students can enjoy free admission to the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts Museum any day of the week. All you have to do is show your student ID at the door.

The Woodmere Art Museum, a 19th century mansion-turned-gallery dedicated to Philadelphia artists, also offers free access to students with a valid ID. This museum is located in Chestnut Hill.

The Franklin Institute hosts free community nights one day each month starting at 5 p.m. Visitors have access to the permanent exhibits and special interactive events that vary each time. The next community night date is Oct. 16.

Old City, Fairmount and Fishtown highlight their local artists by hosting open houses on the first Friday of each month. Art galleries open their doors for free to all from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Pay what you wish

On the first Sunday of every month and every Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 8:45 p.m., the Philadelphia Museum of Art offers “pay what you wish” admission. While this is less expensive than their usual $14 student tickets, there is a minimum requirement of one cent, so it is not technically free. However, it is always free to run up the famous Rocky steps and take a picture with the statue.

The Rodin Museum also abides by the pay what you wish model with a one cent minimum, but it encourages a suggested donation of $7 for students. This offer is available every day. The outdoor portion of the museum, however, is free all the time.

One-time offers

Smithsonian Magazine will host Museum Day on Sept. 22, in which participating museums offer free admission to all of thier patrons. The African American Museum in Philadelphia, the Penn Museum and the Academy of Natural Sciences are among the institutes taking part in this event.

Campus Philly will host College Night at the Barnes on Nov. 9 starting at 7 p.m. for students with a valid ID. This event will allow guests free admission to every exhibit and enjoy live music and free food. 

Standard student discounts

If you cannot attend a museum on the given days when it is free, many of them offer year-round student discounts.

The Barnes Foundation: $5.

Eastern State Penitentiary: $10.

African American Museum in Philadelphia: $10.

National Museum of American Jewish History: $12.

National Constitution Center: $13.

Museum of the American Revolution: $17.

Discount information can be found on industry museums’ websites.

Although all these sites may seem expensive at first glance, there are always special events and discounts for students that can lighten the cost and allow you to experience all that Philadelphia has to offer.