'A voice for the voiceless'
Kiley O’Brien ’25, Assistant Features Editor • July 18, 2024
Fit to be king
Lilli Dellheim '25 M.A., Special to the Hawk • July 13, 2024

Student organizations lose funds

Spring Concert drains club budgets

Due to significant summer budget cuts by the university, it seemed inevitable that there would be no Spring Concert for the 2018-2019 school year.

Now, just over a month into the school year, adequate funds have reappeared for the Spring Concert.

In a recent issue of The Hawk, it was reported that there was a reallocation of $96,750 made by the University’s Student Budget Allocation Committee (SBAC) to fund the Spring Concert for the 2018-2019 school year.

This reallocation means that not only was the Spring Concert’s budget revitalized, but was also funded $10,972 more than was spent the previous year.

This reallocation comes in response to the University Student Senate’s meeting with university officials to discuss a reallocation of funds for the Spring Concert.

This all seems relatively standard, until one looks into how this reallocation came to be. 

Every club and organization on campus receiving funding from SBAC was asked to examine their own financial necessities because budget cuts were pending.

It was not until the article published in The Hawk that student organizations understood why budget cuts were occurring after the school year had already begun.

Student-funded and student-led organizations are now expected to provide a portion of their budget for the 2018-2019 school year to fund the Spring Concert.

Let this sit with you for a moment.

Why is it that each of the student clubs and organizations should sacrifice portions of their funding for a concert which less than a quarter of our undergraduate student body attends?

Reception to the 2018 Spring Concert was particularly favorable, even with students booing performer T-Pain after his performance fell well-below the expectations. This, coupled with the homophobic and transphobic remarks made by the performer after students began booing, provided a less-than-enjoyable experience for most.

Clubs and organizations at St. Joe’s provide students with an opportunity to enhance their leadership skills, engage in service, connect to future employers and form bonds with one another that would not have been possible without involvement in the St. Joe’s community.

The heart and soul of the St. Joe’s student-body resides in the student clubs and organizations. But, in order for student clubs and organizations to continue to operate and help students to grow in their own identities, funding is required.

In general, there is never enough funding to go around. But to reduce funding for student organizations in order to allocate $96,750, which was not in the fiscal budget for the 2018-2019 school year, to one singlet event, is preposterous.

The student activity fee of $180, which each student pays at the start of the year, provides the necessary funds for organizations such as the Green Fund and SUB, but also provides funds for all of the student clubs and organization on our campus. All of these organizations engage students in activities, events and resources which are for the betterment of students.

The overall betterment of students does not come from a one-night event in Hagan Arena with less than one quarter of our undergraduate student-body in attendance.

The betterment of students comes from the hard work and effort of the leaders of each and every student club and organization across our campus that are providing students with a reason to be involved in something bigger than themselves.

The betterment of students comes from the organizations who work tirelessly throughout the entirety of the school year to provide students with opportunities and support needed to achieve their goals.

Do Student Senate and SBAC believe that one single night of entertainment is more important to the success and well-being of the students at St. Joe’s than the clubs and organizations which provide monthly, weekly and daily support?

Funds for the Spring Concert did not appear out of thin air. The student clubs and organizations across campus are facing holds on their budgets and involuntary budget cuts over a month into the school year so that Spring Concert—a one-night event—can be held on our campus.