St. Joe’s men’s rugby wins championship

++++++Senior+center+Chad+McMahon+celebrates+prior+to+scoring+on+Sweeney+Field.+PHOTOS%3A+MICKY+CHAPPLE.+
Senior center Chad McMahon celebrates prior to scoring on Sweeney Field. PHOTOS: MICKY CHAPPLE.

The St. Joe’s men’s rugby team won their third consecutive MARC D1AA Fall 15’s Championship in front of a packed crowd at Sweeney Field on Nov. 3.

Junior full-back James Kinzer said there was a remarkable turnout from the fans.

“We had a lot of parents, alumni and a bunch of people in the rugby community who love the sport come out,”  Kinzer said. “This was probably the best turnout we’ve had for such a big game like that.”

Senior full-back Aram Keshgegian, also known as “The Kesh Express,” said three consecutive conference championships mean a lot to the team and what they’re building as a whole.

“To us, it’s more of a dynasty than a three-peat,” Keshgegian said. “I think it’s cool that we started something new that this school or this team has never really seen before.”

Kinzer said the win being at home added significance.

“There’s definitely a lot more satisfaction that comes with it,” Kinzer said. “It means a lot to us.”

Keshgegian was named MVP for his performance, adding three scores to St. Joe’s tally, two of which came in the closing minutes of play.

“I’m really excited about it,” Keshgegian said. “If I’m being honest, it’s something I can’t do alone. I couldn’t do anything I do without my teammates’ talent. Without those guys, I wouldn’t be able to do anything on the field.”

Kinzer said a lot of behind-the-scenes work went into the team’s success over the past three years.

“What the fans don’t see are the lifts we have with our trainor a couple times a week and film sessions that are at 11 o’clock at night after practice,” Kinzer said. “A lot of the times, we as a team don’t see coaches doing things to make this more than just a club sport that anyone can join. The coaches have turned it into a program that is getting national recognition.”

Keshgegian also attributes the team’s recent success to the entire coaching staff.

“The coaches have been huge, really helping us out and leading us,” Keshgegian said. “They’re very dedicated to us as a team, we’re more than a team, we call ourselves a family.”

Kinzer said their overarching goal for the rugby program is to be a St. Joe’s varsity team.

“St. Joe’s Rugby is more than just a club team,” Kinzer said. “We’ve been building something for a while. This is more than just three in a row, this is building a dynasty of what Hawk rugby really is.”