Loss of a leader

Spinelli at the Hong Kong Red Cross Special Education and Rehabilitation Service 50th Anniversary International Conference “The Challenge of Diversity: Meeting Special Education Needs in the Era of Accountability in December 2004. PHOTO COURTESY OF DEPT. OF SPECIAL EDUCATION

Cathleen Spinelli, Ph.D., dies at age 67

Cathleen Spinelli, Ph.D., professor and former chair of special education, died Nov. 12.

A certified school psychologist and special education teacher who received her doctorate from Temple University, Spinelli joined the St. Joe’s education department in 2001 as an associate professor, becoming a full-time professor in 2007. During her tenure at the university, Spinelli authored multiple textbooks and articles both for graduate and undergraduate students.

“Cathy was an intentional and thoughtful colleague and friend, a uniquely qualified expert in special education who also had an amazing spirit based on her family, her husband Mike and her grown children,” said Virginia Johnson, chair of special education. “She cared deeply about the students she taught and made a lasting impact on all of us.”

Johnson cited Spinelli’s commitment to the students of Samuel Gompers Elementary School as an example of that impact. After a Gompers teacher raised concerns about students squinting in class, Spinelli brought volunteer eye doctors to the school.

“The children who were squinting because of their eye problems, not because they couldn’t read, were able to then get the gift of reading,” Johnson said. “She was a very cool person.”

Carly Sepe ’19, one of Spinelli’s advisees and a student worker in the education department, said she admired Spinelli’s dedication to special education.

“She cared for her students,” Sepe said in an email to The Hawk. “But her heart was with students with disabilities, and I always admired her work.”

Sepe said one of her best memories of Spinelli was during her sophomore year education exams when Spinelli welcomed her into her office to talk when Sepe felt stressed.

“I remember one of those days I was crying, and she gave me tissues, chocolate, was telling me jokes and was telling me about her life, as she was rubbing my back,” Sepe said. “She always told me to never give up, and all these exams will be worth it when I have a classroom of my own some day.”

To her colleagues, Spinelli was tenacious and dedicated during her tenure at the university.

“Dr. Spinelli was a force,” Johnson said. “She didn’t so much approach you as kind of get you and hold you until she got what she needed to get from you.”

Sepe said Spinelli was a treasured mentor and friend.

“She was so dedicated to her work and the love she had for students with disabilities,” Sepe said. “She was a mother, wife, grandmother, professor, coworker and a friend to many. If you were to know her, you would love her in a minute.”

View Comments (1)