James W. Moore, S.J. dies at 92

James W. Moore, S.J. served as director of Undergraduate Admissions from 1963 to 1978. PHOTO COURTESY OF SJU ARCHIVES AND SPECIAL COLLECTIONS

James W. Moore, S.J., a Jesuit and active member of the St. Joe’s community for more than 45 years, died on Sept. 13.

Moore came to St. Joe’s in 1963 when he started as the director of Undergraduate Admissions, and stayed for 15 years. He then became the director of the freshman program, and in 1981 became the associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, a position he held for almost 30 years.

“Fr. Moore will always stand out in my mind as a passionate advocate for student success,” Brice Wachterhauser, Ph.D., professor of philosophy emailed in response to questions from The Hawk. “He spent countless hours as associate dean advising and counseling students.”

Wachterhauser was provost when Moore was the associate dean for the College of Arts and Sciences.

Moore joined the Jesuit community in 1946 after serving in the Navy during World War II. He became an ordained priest in 1959.

“Jim always practiced an excellence in dedication to students and understanding their academic needs,” Dan Joyce, S.J., executive director of Mission Programs emailed in response to questions from The Hawk.

In 2008, what was then known as Overbrook Hall was renamed Moore Hall to recognize Moore and his contributions to the university.

“He was always capable of walking that fine line of maintaining the integrity of the curriculum but also seeing and exhausting every option the student might have to move her or his curriculum along in the right direction,” said Paul Aspan, Ph.D., associate professor of theology and religious studies.

Moore was an active member of the St. Joe’s community, attending many Law Alumni Chapter events and engaging in the Mass of the Holy Spirit. Moore also participated in faculty and staff gatherings, according to University President Mark C. Reed, Ed.D.

“His patience and approachable nature made him a favored counselor and advisor to thousands of students in both academic and personal matters,” Reed wrote in an email to faculty, staff and alumni.

A prayer vigil service will be held on Sept. 18 at 7 p.m. in remembrance of Moore, followed by a viewing until 8:30 p.m. in the Chapel of St. Joseph. Additional services will be held on Sept. 19, with a viewing at 9:15 a.m. followed by Mass at 10:30 a.m. in St. Matthias Church in Bala Cynwyd, where Moore previously served mass.