Born leader

Eddie McCusker walks down Sweeney Field (Photo courtesy of SJU Athletics).

Eddie McCusker leading the way on and off the field

The NCAA Senior CLASS Award is based on one’s character, ability in the classroom, work within their community and performance on the field. The finalists are 30 of the NCAA’s most distinguished seniors.

St. Joe’s senior defenseman Eddie McCusker is on that list, which comes as no surprise to Head Coach Don D’Ambra.

“He is first class,” D’Ambra said. “I can’t imagine making a stronger case to win it over him. He does everything right. Our team is doing well, he is the captain and is performing really well on and off the field. You can’t find a higher character person.”

His teammate and childhood friend, senior midfielder Derek MacKinnon, echoed that sentiment.

“He was absolutely the most deserving person,” MacKinnon said. “From being on the field to being off the field he does everything for the people around him. He is so selfless and we all respect him for that. Not only the St. Joe’s community, but our community back home is so proud.”

McCuskey knows how important it is as one of the captains to foster a winning environment.

“It is important to have a team-first mentality,” McCusker said. “Just being able to try to make players around you better is a key thing for me. The ability to make people feel comfortable is also key. Putting a hand out to younger players is something I focus on.”

On the field McCusker isn’t the flashiest player, but he is willing to do what it takes to win.

“I’m more defensive minded,” McCusker said. “Growing up, I was always playing defense. I liked the thrill of stopping plays and breaking things up. It was the same when I played basketball, too. I was never the guy getting the points, I was more getting the rebounds and passing to other players.”

D’Ambra said having a player like McCusker does a lot for the team’s confidence on the field. His vocal leadership gives the team added confidence when they need it most.

“He’s been the leader of a good core,” D’Ambra said. “He sets the tone for the group. He is the voice for that group. You have to have that if you want to win games.”

During his time at St. Joe’s, McCusker has had an effect off the field just as he has on it. He has worked with charities such as Go4TheGoal and the Make a Wish Foundation.

“He is probably the most kind hearted person I have ever met,” MacKinnon said. “He is a born leader. He is honestly just a great friend overall besides being a teammate and a captain. He is just a great person to be around.”

Though the award provides a tantalizing goal, McCusker’s focus this season is elsewhere.

“At the end of the day we want our program here to be successful,” McCusker said. “Building a culture that puts the team first. The ultimate goal is to win games and do it as a team.”