Brunch egg-splained

A healthy breakfast selection of avocado toast and an acai bowl at First Watch. PHOTO: GAIL PODLESNY ’20

Watch out for First Watch

Let me egg-splain the next place in this brunch series to you very simply: delicious. First Watch in Wynnewood has one philosophy: serving fresh food that doesn’t follow the typical time restrictions of when breakfast should end and where lunch should start.

I went to First Watch on a whim with a few friends, one of which loves the restaurant so much that she has the app.

Apparently, there’s always a long wait. It’s not so much of a problem, because right inside the entrance, there’s free coffee for you while you wait and newspapers for you to read in the meantime.

First Watch is a breakfast/lunch place, no dinner allowed. It was made for the morning and therefore is a place for you to get brunch every day of the week. It opens at 7 a.m. and closes at 2:30 p.m.

The atmosphere of the place is very welcoming and comfortable. It’s a bright setting with lighter colors, allowing you to start your early morning or afternoon with something positive.

There’s plenty of seating with both booths and small tables. You could go there on a date or with 10 of your friends and they could accommodate you. I appreciated this variety, because some places don’t seem to think of party size as much.

Another great thing about First Watch is the menu. It’s very large and mindful of food allergies. I was confident I wouldn’t accidentally eat a tree nut, which is a win.

There’s both an egg and an omelet section, as well as a griddle section with multiple sweet breakfast foods if that’s what you’re looking for.

They also have a healthy selection with items like avocado toast and granola bowls. However, don’t confuse that with the power bowl section they also have.

If you are more of a lunch food person when you go to brunch, then go to the other side of the menu where there are salads and sandwiches waiting for you.

When you are finally seated, they offer you a pot of coffee. They take pride in their Project Sunrise Coffee from Huila, Columbia, and I agree it is an excellent cup of coffee.

However, I regret getting the hot coffee instead of the iced coffee. My friends ordered the iced and it was creamy and sweet, reminding me of the iced coffee I had in Italy that I still dream about.

After perusing the vast menu, I ordered the Farmhouse Hash which was two eggs cooked however I wanted (over easy) with potatoes. Though there are three types of skillet hash, the specific farmhouse one came with bacon, avocado, onions and cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese.

This meal is pretty much all I ask for when I want a savory breakfast.

All of the foods in this dish fit really well together. I could tell the food was fresh and made right then and there, yet it did not take too long for it to come out despite how busy the restaurant was. It was very filling for only $12.

I call finding First Watch a win. It was not too expensive if you don’t have a lot of money to spend. The wait wasn’t horrible, especially if you have the app and reserve a spot beforehand.

First Watch is a good place to go to with friends and family because there is something there for everyone. It has an interesting brand that is directed more towards the college generation, but it was also voted “Top Family Dining Restaurant” in 2016, so if you’re looking for a place to take your mom when she comes to visit, this is the place.

They currently have 14 locations ranging from New York to Maryland, but the closest to St. Joe’s is the one in Wynnewood. Other nearby locations include Villanova and Newtown Square.