Shakespeare on the terrace

Alyssa LaMont ’19 plays Lady Macbeth, Ryan McDonnell ’20 plays Macbeth and Raegan Davies ’21 plays Banquo in the 2019 production of “Macbeth.” PHOTOS: MITCHELL SHIELDS ’22/THE HAWK

A new approach to a timeless play

The St. Joe’s department of music, theater and film will be presenting a free production of William Shakespeare’s “Macbeth” from April 27-28 at 8:30 p.m. on the Drexel Library Terrace.

Directed by Deron Albright, M.F.A., associate professor of music, theater, and film, the play will utilize the outdoor space of campus, a new concept for St. Joe’s but not necessarily for productions of Shakespeare.

“Shakespeare historically was performed in an open-air theater,” Albright said. “We’re very limited on theatrical space on campus, and so that seemed to be the best option.”

Austin Harple ’21 as Murderer #2, Jasper Albright as Porter/Murderer #3 rehearse for the play outside of Drexel Library.

In his directorial debut at St. Joe’s, Albright said “Macbeth” is the perfect show to put on for students, faculty and the surrounding St. Joe’s community.

“‘Macbeth’ is just a great show,” Albright said. “It’s a lot of fun, it’s very accessible, the language is accessible, [and] there’s a good amount of action. There’s a lot of cultural reference points that even if people have never read or seen the play before, it’ll sound familiar.”

Assistant Director Danielle Marino ’19 said the outdoor aspect of the production adds an authenticity that isn’t present in a typical theater.

“I think it’s awesome to put it back outside and just have the natural elements, like the wind, the nighttime, especially it being in the nighttime and this being the nature of the show,” Marino said. “I just think it adds a different element to it that an indoor theater couldn’t.”

In addition to the location, Alyssa LaMont ’19, who plays Lady Macbeth, said the 360-degree nature of the play also adds to its uniqueness.

“The audience sits on the cement steps, and the play happens in a complete 360 degrees around the steps,” LaMont said. “We have some action happening right in front of them [the audience], some on the balcony, some ride in from the side, and then my parts take place behind where the castle is my backdrop as if that were the Macbeth castle.”

“Macbeth” is the first production LaMont is involved in at St. Joe’s.

The cast is comprised of students from all years, as well as some performers outside of the St. Joe’s student body, according to LaMont.

“It is a mix of freshmen, sophomores, mostly juniors, there’s a few seniors,” LaMont said. “And then there’s actually a high schooler, we have two adult performers, one of the adults is bringing their child along, and then we have some students from a different school.”

Marino said the actors have all worked very hard to understand “Macbeth” in order for the audience to understand the play as well.

“What they have done is they’ve worked so hard to understand everything that they’re saying, so that when they get up there it’s like, ‘Wow, that makes sense,’” Marino said.

Chris Kenkelen ’20, who plays Macduff, said he decided to do the show because of his love for Shakespeare.

“I’ve always loved ‘Macbeth,’” Kenkelen said. “I wanted to do a show at the school, and I heard of the audition and was like, ‘oh, this would be an awesome thing to do.’”

As opening night approaches, Albright said people should not be intimidated by Shakespeare, and that this rendition of “Macbeth” can be appreciated by everyone.

“There’s no reason to be afraid of Shakespeare, and we’re trying to make it a fun and accessible performance,” Albright said. “We’re pretty excited to do something that hasn’t been done in a long time here, and using a space that’s never been used before on the campus for a theatrical production.”

Due to rain on April 26, the opening show for Macbeth was canceled. The show will now open on April 27.