Setting a precedent for action

Encouraging discussion about campus climate

Women’s Leadership Initiative (WLI) hosted their monthly meeting on Nov. 14 to discuss the correlation between the recent university sponsored forum and the Campus Climate Study that was conducted in 2017. The event was co-sponsored by the African-Caribbean Student Association, Bridging the Gap, Black Student Union and University Student Senate.

The meeting highlighted how there has always been social tension on campus towards all minority groups, as revealed by the climate study. The presentation was followed with an open group discussion focusing on action steps the St. Joe’s community can take in order to make this a more inclusive environment.

Our campus needs more open discussions about creating a diverse and inclusive environment. Although the climate study is accessible on the St. Joe’s website, the President’s Council on Inclusion and Diversity, which is in charge of turning the study into action, “is on hold as the University is conducting a search for the Associate Provost for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. The Associate Provost for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will be chair [sic] the council,” according to the St. Joe’s inclusion and diversity website.

So, while the administration has taken incomplete steps towards social equality, the students who co-sponsored and hosted the conversation this past week have taken a tremendous first step in the right direction of progress.

First, we applaud these diversity groups who came together last week on their efforts to make sure a genuine and thoughtful conversation takes place. For real change to happen, conversations surrounding social inequality need to be in the form of a true forum or discussion. All voices should be heard and respected by all those involved.

We also commend the efforts to address all inequalities on campus. It is well known by now that racism is prevalent on campus. However, sexism, classism, homophobia, transphobia and non-black racism must be included in the conversation. The information provided in the study highlights important issues on all fronts that are not frequently recognized by this community nor the administration.

The discussion last week aimed to cover all of the bases regarding social inequalities. With this, we further urge students to recognize the different ways in which injustices affect the community here at all levels.

The administration has just begun to address the issues of inequality on campus, and is slowly working to compile their findings into action; their efforts are currently on hold. Therefore, it is important for us as the larger campus community to make an effort to take what the climate study has given us and create an environment that fosters genuine open conversations and takes effective action steps towards inclusion and diversity.

On this note, we first ask the student body to peruse at least part of the extensive climate study to understand the basic attitudes of the community reported in the study. One point mentioned during the WLI discussion was the call for students to make change within their own lives. Arming yourself with basic information and understanding the social environment on campus is an important first step.

Second, the notion of allyship was frequently discussed. Becoming an ally is a crucial step for everyone to take in order to support all marginalized communities. People of color, women and the LBGTQIA+ community all deserve the respect and support of others. Being an ally also means taking the necessary action steps to confront injustices in your individual life and to be aware of the overall social climate.

WLI and partnering diversity groups have set a precedent for meaningful open discussions surrounding campus climate and have made sure the university climate study does not get pushed under the rug during the search for a new associate provost for diversity, equity and inclusion.

We ask the larger campus community to follow this lead and sustain conversation and action that promote equality for all on this campus.

—The Editorial Board

This week’s Editorial Board is comprised of the Editor in Chief, Digital Managing Editor, Photo Editor, Sports Editor, Assistant Opinions Editor, Assistant News Editor, Copy Editor, Online Editor, News Editor and Senior Editor. This editorial reflects the views of the Board and not the entire Hawk staff.