Super Starbucks up for vote

A common topic on students’ minds is the fate of the Cosi restaurant on 54th Street. Though its replacement has been debated for some time, the most recent option being discussed was Chic-fil-a.However, after much negative feedback on the possibility of introducing Chic-fil-a to campus, Dining Services, in accordance with the University, decided against the restaurant. Instead, they have chosen to replace Cosi with an expanded and updated version of Starbucks Coffee House.

When asked why Starbucks was chosen as the appropriate replacement, both the di- rector of dining services Tom Rizzo and director of auxiliary services Joseph Brown at- tributed the decision to student desire.

“[Students wanted] a place you could sit and relax, and bring your mom and dad,” said Brown.

According to numerous surveys conducted by Dining Services, students sought a more social and comfortable space where one could purchase food and drink as well as lounge, converse, and complete homework.

Starbucks not only fulfills these requirements, but is also highly popular with students.

“[We’re] constantly asking students, ‘What would you like to see?,’ and [Starbucks] was a brand they were comfortable with,” said Brown.

Additionally, as the current Starbucks location on the corner of 54th is very small, there is a need for expansion; Cosi’s venue would allow for that.

When asked about her thoughts on the possibility of Starbucks replacing Cosi, Gabriella DiGiovanni, ’17, said, “I think that’s an inefficient use of space. Starbucks doesn’t need to be that big.”

Multiple replacement options besides Chic-fil-a were brought to the attention of the Dining Committee and cabinet, including many well-known chains such as Elevation Burger, Panda Express, and Einstein Bagels.

“I would have liked to see something more equal to Cosi, like a Panera Bread,” said DiGiovanni.

The idea to replace Cosi was brought up in September when it was discovered, according to numerous student surveys, that students and faculty of the university were no longer satisfied with the services provided by the salad and sandwich shop.

Due to this dissatisfaction, the bistro has been suffering from declining sales.

Brown and Rizzo explained that students were getting tired of the restaurant, and it was a similar decision to that of replacing previous Campion Food Court vendor Frescura with Subway.

The new Starbucks will include food items from La Blouganse Bakery, which was recently bought by the Starbucks Coffee House chain in order to revamp and expand their dining experience for their customers.

“It’s a Super Starbucks,” said Brown, “[and] the key is the expanded menu.”

One might ask, however, what will replace the existing Starbucks on 54th Street. Brown and Rizzo say the current Starbucks on the corner will be converted to a P.O.D. Market similar to those located in Merion and Bellarmine Hall.

There were restrictions for replacement options for the space on the corner. No venues in which cooking or baking are involved could be chosen, as it would disrupt the residents in the apartments above.

However, students do not seem to be happy with the decision. “We don’t need another [P.O.D.],” said Kirsten Saraceni, ’17.

Students will continue to be able to use their Declining Balance, and additionally, students will now be able to use Starbucks gift cards and coupons, which has previously been an issue at the current Starbucks location. These problems have been attributed to technological matters, which would be fully resolved in the new coffee shop.

Although nothing is set in stone, “We are moving forward,” said Rizzo, who also con- firmed that Cosi will be open and in full operation until the end of the school year.