Fostering an open discussion

Potential for acceptance through interfaith dialogue

St. Joe’s has hosted and is set to host various conversations surrounding interfaith dialogue this semester. On Jan. 23, St. Joe’s held SJU Prays: Interfaith Blessings For The New Year. The service represented Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism and the Bahá’í faith.

Then, on Jan. 27, Rabbi Skorka, Ph.D., visiting professor of theology, and Philip Cunningham, professor of theology and co-director of the Institute for Jewish and Catholic relations, led a panel discussion on Jewish-Catholic relations. A second panel discussing Islam and the religions of Asia is set to take place on Feb. 10.

This sustained interfaith dialogue on campus not only encourages conversation in an era of polarizing debate, but is essential in promoting the religious values rooted in love, acceptance and tolerance.

The Hawk published an in-depth story on Jan. 29 covering a lawsuit filed against St. Joe’s by Noel Koenke, former campus minister, for discrimination on the basis of sexual identity. The Editorial Board critiqued the university for not supporting a member of a marginalized community and for using Catholic doctrine as a reason.

While we are a religious institution meant to embody acceptance and tolerance as taught by the Catholic doctrine, and while we are meant to be inclusive, diverse and in pursuit of social justice as preached by our mission statement, it seems we easily stray from such teachings.

It’s imperative to recognize that while religion has been developed over time from ancient texts and practices, it is possible for the interpretation of doctrine to lead to open conversations and encourage acceptance rather than ostracism.

A recent column written by Tom Naatz in The (University of Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s College and Holy Cross College) Observer argues, “dogmatic details are not what matters. There isn’t just one way to holiness” and “even though we think differently, we’re more alike than we realize.”

Similarly, these dialogues on campus have stressed that while dogmatic details and diversity in practice are a fact of religion, the overarching lessons and morals taught within religions all emphasize similar points.

Major world religions preach acceptance, tolerance, love, patience and other virtues. While there are different ways to practice and teach these concepts, they are concepts that benefit the greater society, whether you are a religious person or not.

This campus has experienced many incidents of racism, antisemitism, religious discrimination, patterns of blatant sexism, numerous reported and unreported sexual assault cases and homophobic actions.

However, op-ed columns and letters to the editor in this week’s issue of The Hawk represent dialogue and demonstrate different ways in which religion spreads the positive messages at the core of the practices.

That is why interfaith dialogue is a necessity on our campus. It is just one component in showing that there remains goodness in religion and faith, and the open dialogue that has been taking place on campus along with preaching love, tolerance and acceptance makes the former statement true.

Not only does interfaith dialogue bridge the gap between different faiths in a public setting, but discussions and services acknowledging a diversity of beliefs sends a message that this campus has the potential for acceptance.

—The Editorial Board

This week’s Editorial Board is comprised of the Editor in Chief, Managing Editor, Special Projects Editor, Online Editor, Copy Editor, Assistant News Editor, Opinions Editor, Assistant Opinions Editor, Features Editor, Photo Editor. This editorial reflects the views of the Board and not the entire Hawk staff.