Necessity of Summer Scholars Program

Condemning the decrease in research funding

The university’s prestigious Summer Scholars Program has three main goals, according the university’s website: “1) providing students with an opportunity to engage in research or other creative activities “full time” for an extended period, 2) fostering close professional interaction between students and faculty mentors as an expression of cura personalis, and 3) affording students with the opportunity to publicly share and present the results of their work, both within and outside of the SJU community.”

Given the number of outstanding projects the program has sponsored since its inception in 1994, it clearly has met those goals. It has contributed to the betterment of the student body as well as to the larger community. The work put in by students and their faculty mentors also aligns with the university’s Jesuit mission of encouraging community engagement “from the classroom to extracurriculars, to research and beyond.”

News that the university plans to cut funding to the program this year, significantly reducing the number of students it will support compared to recent years, is disconcerting—and unacceptable.

We understand that budget limitations exist, and money that supports the Summer Scholars Program can be volatile because funding is tied both to a donor and to the university’s fluctuating operating budget rather than to an endowment, which would secure levels of support.

However, the benefits of undergraduate research and the opportunities that the Summer Scholars Program provides for the greater St. Joe’s community should be seen as a priority when considering the university budget.

Budget cuts directly affecting students’ academic work should be a last resort. One of the best aspects of the Summer Scholars Program is its expansive concept of research. Since 2005, when the university expanded the program beyond its initial grant that was limited to research within the biology department, students and their faculty mentors have represented a multitude of fields, including marketing, accounting, management, social sciences, history, theology, faith justice and art. In the past, scholars have researched student loans’ effects on the job market, mathematics in sports, the benefits of federal meal plans and the effects of mass incarceration.

College in general provides an environment for students and other community members to explore their interests and strengths in academia. This research not only gives those participating the opportunity to gain the necessary background they may need for future careers, but it benefits the greater society by expanding the net of authentic intellectual property and allowing students to work closely with faculty mentors.

At a school that prides itself fostering strong student-faculty relationships, this program provides an invaluable opportunity for students and faculty to learn and work closely together.

The financial aspect of the Summer Scholars Program also provides further benefits to all members of the community. As it is, higher education is a privileged opportunity. Being able to partake in independent research projects in a hyper specific field of interest is another added layer of privilege that disproportionately benefits those who are in a higher socioeconomic bracket. By providing a generous stipend and greatly reduced housing costs for the summer, the Summer Scholars Program helps to bridge the gap between all students regardless of socioeconomic background. It allows students who have a passion and interest in a specific field to conduct their own projects and studies with less of a financial burden.

If anything, the program should be working to expand its reach to include more students from underrepresented backgrounds who would benefit from such a privilege—and not reduce the number of students who can access it.

The Summer Scholars Program and the notion of undergraduate research is an essential component in building a collegiate environment that encourages the highest level of academic achievement.

Therefore, it is imperative for the university to put the utmost effort into securing funds that support undergraduate academic research programs. Pushing for an endowment in future years is a step in the right direction, but the decision to significantly reduce the funds for the pool of students in the midst of any application cycle is unacceptable.

University administrators must work to come up with creative ways to budget for research this year. If St. Joe’s wants to be a topnotch and competitive institution, it needs to start by continuing to support the students who can help them achieve that status.

—The Editorial Board

This week’s Editorial Board is comprised of the Editor in Chief, Managing Editor, Special Projects Editor, Online Editor, Copy Chief, Assistant News Editor, Opinions Editor, Features Editor, Photo Editor, Staff Writer, Staff Columnist and Staff Photographer. This editorial reflects the views of the Board and not the entire Hawk staff.