The Department of Athletics releases campus recreation updates

Students work out in O’Pake Recreation Center on a Monday night. PHOTO: Mitchell Shields ’22

St. Joe’s released campus recreation updates for students to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in an Aug. 7 university announcement from Jill Bodensteiner, J.D., director of athletics. 

During the summer, campus recreation reorganized and relocated from the office of Student Life to the Department of Athletics. Leaders in both athletics and Student Life have since been working to prepare for students’ return to campus for an unprecedented fall semester. 

“Campus recreation is an essential part of the student experience and our goal is to provide opportunities that enhance well-being and create community,” Bodensteiner wrote in the announcement.

To participate in fitness and recreation activities as safely as possible, O’Pake Recreation Center, Fitness Center and O’Pake Pool can be accessed by reservation beginning Aug. 24, the first day of the fall 2020 semester. 

“We will look for our students to join us in a commitment to physical distancing, handwashing, face coverings while in campus recreation facilities and other safety measures,” Bodensteiner said.

Bodensteiner clarified that campus recreation facilities will be rearranged to accommodate social distancing guidelines. 

New this year, campus recreation will be offering free group exercise classes for students, faculty and staff to participate in starting Aug. 24. 

“Classes will be held outdoors and require a reservation,” Bodensteiner said. “Space will be limited to 10 participants per class session.” 

Bodensteiner said additional information concerning facility hours, the reservation process and activity schedules will be available at sju.edu/recreation and on their Instagram (@sjuhawks_rec), Twitter (@sjuhawks_rec) and Facebook (sjuhawksrec) accounts. 

This story will be updated continuously as new information becomes available.