A Little Party Never Killed Nobody

Graphic by Kaitlyn Patterson ’20.

The Franklin Institute’s Speakeasy was the cat’s pajamas

Grab your fanciest pearls and swankiest clothes, because we’re going for a night on the town.

On Jan. 24th, the Franklin Institute held
one of its monthly Science A er Hours events for adults 21 and over. is month’s theme was a 1920s speakeasy. ere were open bars and special activities set up all over the museum, and the entire building was open for exploration.

Since the event was 21 and over, there was a craft beer bar set up in addition to other mini bars that served liquor, wine, beer, mixed drinks, and champagne. Music from the ’20s was also playing throughout the museum and provided a wonderful soundtrack for an evening of nonstop fun. As party-goers reveled, Philadelphia-based jazz band Drew Nugent and the Midnight Society also provided quintessential Roaring ’20s music at the Fels Planetarium two separate times that evening.

In addition to the swinging jazz band, there was also an event at the Musser Demonstration eater called “Booze, Bettin’, and Broads.” Here, attendees were able to witness gangsters attempt- ing to pitch their exclusive moonshine brand to the masses. Another popular late-night festivity was dance lessons provided
by Philadelphia’s Old City Sweethearts, where members of a vintage chorus girl troupe taught people some basic steps before learning the moves to the “Speakeasy Shuffle.”

Dancing into a more modern era, attendees had the opportunity to play Quizzo at Franklin Foodworks for a chance to win a pair of tickets to the next Science After Hours event. e combination of both modern and vintage activities kept the night interesting and alive. However, Quizzo was not the only modern activity of the night.

At the Benjamin Franklin Memorial, party- goers ventured to witness an event named “Let’s Have a Ball…explosion.” Rather than tipsy flappers, professionals with experience concerning different brews combined liquid nitrogen with plastic balls to create a huge explosion. People crowded all around the memorial to see the liquid nitrogen work its magic as the plastic balls skyrocketed multiple feet into the air. You’d think a giant bottle of champagne was popped.

In addition to the activities mentioned above, there were a multitude of others at di erent locations throughout the museum. For example, near the giant heart exhibit, the Philadel- phia Horticultural Society assisted attendees in cra – ing their own apper-style headbands, complete with beautiful fake owers. Adults were also able to learn more about the era by visiting tables that spoke of the fashion, history, and in uences that the 1920s had on American history and culture as a whole.

To round out the night, flappers and their gangsters showed o their newly acquired dancing skills at the Benjamin Franklin Memorial by performing the Speak- easy Shuffle for onlookers.

Overall, the night was a great success. e town was painted red and even though the liquor was le- gal, it was still a swell time. Jay Gatsby would have felt at home at the Franklin Institute’s late-night bash.

If you missed it or are just turning 21 on Jan. 31, not to worry. February’s event is Mardi Gras themed, so there’s always another chance for an enlightening night of fun.