Class of 2020 returns to Hawk Hill

Members of the class of 2020, faculty, staff and administrators mingle at the Appreciation Reception in Campion Student Center. PHOTO: KELLY SHANNON ’24/THE HAWK

At least 300 alumni from the St. Joe’s class of 2020 returned to Hawk Hill on Oct. 16 for the commencement they could not have in 2020 because of the global pandemic. 

The university hosted a Class of 2020 Hawk Hill Celebration that included numerous events on campus meant to celebrate the 2020 graduates almost 18 months after their online commencement in May 2020. University president Mark C. Reed, Ed.D., said the university was happy to welcome students back.

“We know nothing can replace what happened, but you always want to welcome people back,” Reed said. “It’s not really about St. Joe’s, it’s about the [class of 2020].”

The day of celebratory activities for the class of 2020 began at noon with a “do it yourself” workshop from AR Workshop, a craft workshop company, in the North Lounge in Campion Student Center. This was followed by a Quizzo game at Landmark Americana City Line. 

Alumni then had a chance to attend a mass with Rev. Daniel Joyce, S.J., executive director of mission programs, in the Chapel of Saint Joseph. A cap and gown photo shoot and an appreciation reception with faculty and staff were planned for outdoors, but were moved to Campion Student Center because of inclement weather. The day ended with a reception at the Doyle Banquet Hall.

Alumni said they were excited to return to campus to reconnect with old friends and professors who they were not able to say goodbye to when the pandemic unexpectedly caused shutdowns in March 2020. Lamar Bustion ’20 said he was happy that he was able to reconnect with members of his cohort. 

“I’ve been able to catch up with a few friends that I haven’t seen in a while, like my friend Dylan and my friend Eden, [who] I have not seen in a long time since she [now] lives in Colorado,” Bustion said. “This has been a great event for everyone to be able to come and have a common meeting ground.”

Most alumni were excited to return to campus, but some were still disappointed that they could not have an in-person commencement in 2020.

Maria McBride ’20 said the celebration event could never make up for what the class of 2020 missed out on. “I’m completely understanding of the whole situation and can’t imagine the difficult choices that had to be made,” McBride said. “I don’t think this makes up for it. I think this was an event that they were able to put on, but I don’t think that it should be compared to a graduation at all.”

Beth Hagovsky, Ed.D., director of Student Leadership and Activities, said 300 members of the Class of 2020 pre-registered for the event which was planned based on feedback from members of the class.

“Once the university had identified a date, we reached out to a group of members of the class of 2020,” Hagovsky said. “Once we had their feedback, we started to put some plans in place, and came up with a schedule for a day of events and activities that we thought they would enjoy.”

Kat Mensching ’20 said while nothing could make up for the loss of the class of 2020’s senior year, she enjoyed catching upwith members of her class. “I do think it’s awesome that we’re having an event to get together, say hi, catch up and celebrate the fact that we all graduated and to get back together as a class,” Mensching said. “I’m really hoping that today’s event will strengthen the bond of the class of 2020.”