Black History Month: Q &A with A.C.S.A

In honor of Black History Month, The Hawk staff asked members of the African-Caribbean Student Association (ACSA) executive board why it is important to celebrate BHM.

What’s your favorite part about being on the ACSA eboard?
My favorite part about being on ACSA’s eboard as president is getting to work with like-minded individuals whose goals are to provide a safe space for all students as we indulge in learning about African/Caribbean culture. In March, we will have an event called Island Tings, a fundraiser for our Spring Fashion Visual. At this event, we will [be] able to fundraise and provide authentic African/Caribbean cuisine to students.
– Autumn Richardson ’22, President

Why is it important that we celebrate Black History Month?

It is important that we celebrate Black History Month because it is important to remember the depth of Black, Caribbean and African individuals. The primary focus of Black history has been warped by slavery, and although it is an important part, it is not the only part. So BHM should be taken as a time to revisit the accomplishments of Black people. Our stories get forgotten but the month allows our voices to be pushed to the front.
Susan Mbombab ’23, Treasurer

Is there anything else you would like people to know about Black History Month?

I would like people to know that BHM does not end in February. It is a year-long celebration. With that being said, do not stop exploring and acknowledging our history on the 28. We would like it to be common knowledge that Garrett Morgan invented the three-way traffic signal, just as it’s known that Alexander Graham Bell developed the telephone, and so forth. Put these Black history facts into grade-school textbooks and continue to spread knowledge of Black history!
– Makiah Stephens ’22, Vice President