Victory at last

GRAPHIC: CASEY WOOD’23/THE HAWK
USWNT Settles lawsuit achieving equal pay moving forward

Feb. 23, 2022 marks a historic day not only in women’s soccer, but for representation and equality within women’s sports. The United States Women’s National Team’s (USWNT) ongoing gender discrimiation lawsuit against the U.S. Soccer Federation was settled, and the women’s teams will receive the equal pay they have been fighting for. 

The lawsuit was settled by U.S Soccer agreeing to pay $24 million in back pay as direct compensation toward the players. The players will be able to decide how the payment is split between them and $2 million of the fund will be reserved for players’ post-playing careers. 

This victory also means that men’s and women’s teams will receive equal pay starting at the regular season games all the way up until the World Cup. 

The initial lawsuit dates back to 2019 when 28 women from the National Team filed a lawsuit against U.S. Soccer for “institutionalized gender discrimination.” An uproar occured on social media and around the country when the court dismissed the equal part pay of the case. This stopped the women from the opportunity to gain equal pay. 

An appeal was brought up in July 2021, where the women made it clear that the judge of the case was unwilling to look at how the women had to win more games to get what the men were already getting paid. 

The USWNT has fought harder and longer than they should have to win equal pay. The players on this team have used their platform for good and have caused a shift in the right direction for women in sports. 

This is a monumental moment that shows women and girls all around the world that their gender should not stop from achieving what they want to. This journey was not simple whatsoever, but the USWNT continued to fight and stand up for what they deserved and in the end, they won.