Roller Hockey Team Falls in Semi-Finals

Captain Matt Carideo ’22 attemps to sneak the puck past UPenn’s goalie. PHOTOS: MITCHELL SHIELDS ’22/THE HAWK

St. Joe’s club roller hockey team ended its season April 10 in the Philadelphia Collegiate Roller Hockey League (PCRHL) playoffs with a loss to Neumann University.

The team had defeated the University of Pennsylvania in the first round before falling to Neumann in the semifinals.

The playoffs were held at the Marple Sports Arena in Broomall, Pennsylvania. Neumann, Drexel University, UPenn, St. Joe’s and two teams from Villanova University all battled for the championship title. St. Joe’s had been seeded third. Villanova’s A team and Neumann were seeded first and second respectively.

Captain Matt Carideo ’22 dominated the team’s game against UPenn. In club roller hockey, three skaters and one goalie are on the floor at any one time. Carideo, a skater, scored five goals in the team’s 6-4 win over UPenn.

“I just felt dangerous,” Carideo said.

The fast-paced game had a tight score throughout. UPenn opened up quickly with a goal and led throughout the majority of the first period.

“We knew that we were the better team. They didn’t have a big bench, Carideo said. We didn’t have a big bench, either, but we worked off of our individual talents.”

St. Joe’s has a total of six players on its team.

Shawn Hall ’22 celebrates after a goal against UPenn.

Freddie Miami ’22 turned in a strong performance as the Hawks goalie.

“There were a lot of shots that they took that ended up getting blocked off,” Miami said, standing in the locker room after the game. He pointed to his teammates. “You guys did a great job. We did a good job holding multiple sideboards and just forced them to make a shot I could make an easy save on.”

Although Carideo scored the majority of the goals, other players were quick to say it was a team effort that got them the win against UPenn.

“It’s been a great group of guys,” said skater Christian Yuen ’25. “The first game just felt right, and it’s great to be on this team.”

Villanova and Neuman will face off in the championship game on April 24 in the Marple Sports Arena.