A holiday heart-to-heart: Transitioning from one holiday to the next

GRAPHIC:
GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK
GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK

As the outside world slowly changes from golden leaves to bare trees, the inside world watches as Halloween decorations are gradually replaced by mistletoes and festive strings of lights. Seemingly approaching at the speed of light, the holiday season fills some with joy and others with stress. Before we dive headfirst into the final months of 2022, there are a few controversial topics of debate that must be hashed out.

First, when is it appropriate to start listening to holiday music? Popular radio stations believe the day after Halloween is a perfect time, but many disagree, believing they will get sick of the music by December. Personally, I find it hard to get into the holiday spirit when my classrooms, dorm and campus are still covered with orange leaves and pumpkins. I truly need to be excited for the holiday season to listen to festive music, and waiting for December ensures that I’ll get the most enjoyment out of my winter playlists. Thus, I think the beginning of December is the prime time to start streaming holiday songs on Spotify. Ultimately, this is because December is the first month of winter, which I associate with snow, hot chocolate and of course, the holidays. This atmosphere is perfect to enjoy my favorite festive songs.

Next we get into the age-old question of when it is appropriate for stores to begin selling holiday decor. Hoping to maximize profit, many businesses start selling festive decorations before Halloween, as they are unwilling to wait for one holiday to end before transitioning to the next. Although many take advantage of Black Friday deals and shop for decorations early, I usually wait until the beginning of December to purchase decor, if I buy anything at all. Perhaps my buying habits would be different if I had a house and yard to decorate, but I typically reuse decorations from past years instead of buying more for my dorm. Thus, buying decorations typically isn’t a huge topic on my mind as winter approaches. 

Another popular topic of debate is holiday lights, specifically their color. Holiday lights typically come in two variations: white or multi-colored. These multi-colored lights usually feature blue, red, green and yellow colors but can come in different varieties. My family always strung white lights around our house when I was a kid, so naturally, I prefer them as they evoke nostalgia. However, I still would favor these lights even if I didn’t associate them with my past, because I believe they are more aesthetically pleasing. Above all, this is because they match with all sorts of decorations regardless of their color. The bright, colored LED lights tend to clash with certain color schemes and can be distracting to look at. 

Although preferences are fun to debate, the holiday season is ultimately a time for unity and appreciation. This includes respecting the faith traditions of fellow students that may not participate in the same practices. By appreciating the diversity of the St. Joe’s community in these silly debates and deeper religious beliefs, we can make St. Joe’s a more welcoming, accepting place for all Hawks. I look forward to exchanging gifts, sipping hot chocolate and going to holiday-themed events on campus. And I hope the coming months are enjoyable for all.