4 Fall Themed Drinks to Try

Erin Conway ‘24 trying the Apple Crisp Oat Milk Macchiato from Starbucks. PHOTO: KELLY SHANNON ’24/THE HAWK

If chilly November days put you in the mood for a pumpkin spice latte, you’re not alone. Since Starbucks launched the drink in 2003, the company has served up an estimated 200 million cups. It now has its own social media hashtag –– #pumpkinspicelatte –– and acronym –– PSL. Who can blame the thirst for that signature espresso roast with steamed milk and pumpkin spice flavoring? It’s the perfect touch of autumn, not just a taste, but a feeling. But the pumpkin spice latte is no longer the only fall drink in town. Here are some others to expand your fall drink horizons. 

Nutty Pumpkin Coffee 

You can get this delicious coffee iced or hot at your local Dunkin’. In addition to Dunkin’s original iced coffee blend, this coffee also includes pumpkin spice swirls, a hazelnut flavor shot and cream. It tastes like an explosion of fall, if fall has a taste.

Dunkin’ recently revamped its Dunkin’ rewards program, offering free beverages and food after you’ve racked up enough points. What’s better than a Nutty Pumpkin Coffee for less than $3? A Nutty Pumpkin Coffee for free.

Apple Crisp Oat Milk Cappuccino 

Here’s the drink you should try if you’re a Starbucks fan rather than a Dunkin’ fan. Served with hot oatmilk, brown sugar and blonde espresso roast, this cappuccino has an apple flavoring. The blonde espresso is lighter roasted, giving it a sweeter taste, and it has a little more caffeine than a regular espresso. 

“It is very popular. A lot of people love the drink and get it iced or hot,” said Ariana Williams ’25, who used to work at the Starbucks next to the SJU Bookstore on North 54th Street.

With this drink, you can get all the electric energy you need for around $6. Even better, there’s a Starbucks on the edges of both the Hawk Hill and University City campuses. You’ll barely get a chance to walk off the 320 calories you downed with this drink.

Salted Caramel Mocha Latte 

Wawa fans can relish in the company’s Salted Caramel Mocha Latte. The main ingredients in this latte are espresso and steamed milk with an added salted caramel flavoring.

Due to its higher milk-to-coffee ratio, a latte is weaker in caffeine strength than a regular cup of coffee. If that sounds too sweet, Wawa also offers a sugar-free caramel option. 

Bonus: It only costs $3 –– half the price of Starbucks. 

Maple Chai Latte 

You can probably find a fall drink at any number of local shops, but my favorite is ReAnimator, which has six locations in the city.

What makes this shop so special is the maple flavoring they use. When you think of fall drinks it tends to be the same thing year after year: salted caramel, cinnamon and apple. Maple opens up a whole new world of fall flavors. This delicious drink is made with steamed milk and black tea mixed with maple flavoring and is priced at $5. 

The South Philly shop at 1248 S. Clarion Street is about 15 minutes from the UCity campus and 20 minutes from the Hawk Hill campus.