Editorial: Mar. 1

As the short month of February comes to an end, we get to roll into March and celebrate Women’s History Month. And, just like Black history should be celebrated every other month, we all know that March should not be the only time women are uplifted and celebrated. Women’s History Month serves as a way to highlight both the historical and current accomplishments of women. 

It’s important to also acknowledge during Women’s History Month that the struggles of women are often overlooked in history. While we have made progress in regards to earning equal rights for women in society, there is still a lot of work left to be done to achieve equity in all aspects of life. We are witnessing what might be a significant regression in the hard-won rights that women have fought for and earned in the past century. We need to remain vigilant and continue to fight to reclaim those lost rights.

This Women’s History Month, take a moment to reflect on how we can achieve this equity. We can support women-owned businesses, speak up for any injustice we see, no matter how trivial it may seem and celebrate the women in both our personal lives and beyond. Celebrating women for their wins and supporting women during their struggles is not only an act of cura personalis, which we strive to achieve at St. Joe’s, but it helps create a better society for everyone.