Playlist: Spring has sprung

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK

As the semester slowly starts coming to an end, it’s safe to say that Poison was right about every rose having its thorn. To counteract the pains that may come with the end of the semester, The Hawk freshly picked four songs that bring out that springtime motivation and summertime excitement. 

“Sunflower, Vol. 6” – Harry Styles 

After being in the industry since age 16, it’s no secret that the 29-year-old English singer knows a thing or two about releasing a summer hit. Just last summer, his hit single “As It Was” consumed just about every radio station. However, his 2019 album “Fine Line” has a hidden gem titled “Sunflower, Vol. 6.” Embracing the warm weather and flowery feel of spring, this song may not transport you physically to an island, but it definitely brings you there mentally. 

“I Feel Good About This” – The Mowgli’s

The Mowgli’s may not be a household name, but after listening to two or three of their songs, you may want them to be. This alternative indie rock band encapsulates every summertime feeling. Whether it be driving to the shore “with your hand hanging out the window, like you’re riding a wave” or spending late summer nights walking “down the sidewalks of cities,” this song highlights not knowing what the future may hold, but knowing it will be good as long as you are surrounded by love. 

“Cut To The Feeling” – Carly Rae Jepsen 

While a lot of us are patiently waiting to cut to that feeling of summer, the least we can do is jam out to this 2016 throwback. While Jepsen is highlighting the eagerness of wanting to jump right to the feeling of love, the lyrics can relate to anyone who wants to “cut through the clouds,” “break the ceiling” and “dance on the roof” all spring and summer long. 

“Summer of ’69” – Bryan Adams 

Whether or not you know how to play a six string, or more importantly, whether or not you lived through the summer of ’69, listeners can at least live vicariously through these lyrics. Released in 1984, this pop rock song is a timeless classic that will have everyone at your summer cookout singing along and reminiscing on past, simple summer days.