Students open their voices at Art Club’s Open Mic Night

Erin Walton ’26 plays a folk song on her guitar as Art Club members watch and listen during Open Mic Night. PHOTO: MAX KELLY ’24 /THE HAWK

“For those of you walking by, this is Open Mic Night,” yelled Art Club President Ana Triantafilou ’23 to students passing by the outside of Wolfington Hall (Campus Ministry) on March 22.

Although it took a little bit of coaxing, Abby Dyhr ’25 and Lauren Yingling ’25 started off the Art Club’s third Open Mic Night of the year with “Every Morning” by Sugar Ray. Their quirky chemistry and humorous vocals got the crowd waving their hands in the air.

“I love Sugar Ray, and I love Art Club,” shouted Yingling at the end of
her performance.

One of the night’s favorites was Logan Kentner ’25 and his rendition of “In Ha Mood” by rapper Ice Spice. This was not Kentner’s first rodeo, having performed at previous Open Mic Nights. 

“I think the crowd enjoyed it. I think they felt the energy that Ice Spice was trying to put out there, and they really received it,” Kentner said.

Duo Daniel Barry ’23 on guitar and Megan Vanderbas ’23 on lead vocals ended the evening with “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz. For Vanderbas, this performance was an opportunity to break out of her comfort zone.

“Singing is not my thing,” Vanderbas said. “I’m trying to do something I’m scared of every day because I have pretty bad anxiety. I’m learning ways to cope with it and realize that me feeling embarrassed or anxious is not the end of the world.”

The Art Club community was a safe space for her to show her vulnerable side, Vanderbas said.

“No matter what, I know that these people are not going to come up and be mean to me or judge me even if I suck,” Vanerbas said.

Kelly Slater ’24, vice president of Art Club, said that’s exactly why they host these events.

“Maybe it’s a pottery night, paint night, or skate night, anyone can come.”